What size pump and salt water generator?

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
My pool is somewhere between 9000-10,000 gallons. I have a vintage Hayward pump that is leaking and needs some other parts. This seems like a good time to make the switch.

What size salt water generator should I get and also pump size? Brand and vendor recommendations? I recall someone a while back talking about Discount Saltwater Pool as being a good choice from which to buy. Is that a good option, or is there a better one?

Circupool is an option. They have SWCG and pumps. Some of the pumps are set up with a relay so that your SWCG will not be powered when the pump is running. Are you thinking of a VS pump?

Gold standard is Pentair VS pumps.

Other options are Inyopools, Hayward, etc. All make quality products. Cost varies.

I am not thinking of a specific brand. So, everything I have learned here has been spot on, so I am asking here before making a decision

I have friends that have had pools for years and struggle with their water. I do it exactly the trouble free way and my water is always clear year round. I fixed my skimmer leak the way I was told here with Rezolin for about $27. I was able to repair my current filter and pump for a small sum by doing exactly what I learned here. One thing is clear to me after listening to my friends pool horror stories and my experience here, I won’t make a move until I come here and get advice. I am so grateful for this site and its vast resources. Pool school is amazing, as well as, the search feature.

Well there are a bunch of questions that come to mind that will narrow you down to some choices... I assume all repair options on your existing equipment are exhausted or you are just ready to replace it.
-Do you already have or want automation? If so you are much better off going with the same manufacturer for everything.
-Consider putting in a VS pump.. much more energy efficient and worth the extra cost in the long run. Some states require VS pumps with upgrades.
-What gizmos will be attached to your pump, water features etc.
-Do you plan on adding anything down the road, so you can plan for upgrades.
-What's the arrangement of your pool equipment. Sometimes that will dictate what you can add to it if you have limited space or some other contraints
-What else do you want to upgrade at the same time? For example when I did my SWG conversion, the existing pool equipment was 15 yrs old and shot. So I replaced everything, pumps, filters, heater, and added the SWG. That was almost 20 years ago and its still plugging along.
-And of course what's your budget!
I'm sure I forgot something.. but that will get you started.

I did not answer on the size of SWCG. At least 2X your pool volume, though, in your climate, I would go bigger. Get one that will put at least 1 lb chlorine gas per day. That typically equates to one rated for a 30k gallon pool. Or bigger.

I am not planning to add any other features besides the saltwater generator. The pump and filter were put in back in 1993. The filter is a Hayward sand filter. I replaced the sand and multi port with the help of some folks here. See my thread on that. The old old was duct taped together when I bought the house.

I am not planning to add any other features besides the saltwater generator. The pump and filter were put in back in 1993. The filter is a Hayward sand filter. I replaced the sand and multi port with the help of some folks here. See my thread on that. The old old was duct taped together when I bought the house.
Now it's time to support TFP.
HERE'S THE LINK, THANK YOU

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.