What size of oil filter pliers to remove salt cell?

pmcd

May 31, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I have to remove my Aqua Rite cell to clean it. It is on really tightly. I managed to get one size off with a rubber strap wrench but the other side was stuck and the wrench broke. I am looking for an alternative and someone mentioned oil filter pliers. Does anyone know what size to get? There are some called Channellock 212 4-1/2-Inch Jaw Capacity Pliers.
Also
TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers. These come in different sizes with a 16” one.

Am at a real loss...

I have to remove my Aqua Rite cell to clean it. It is on really tightly. I managed to get one size off with a rubber strap wrench but the other side was stuck and the wrench broke. I am looking for an alternative and someone mentioned oil filter pliers. Does anyone know what size to get? There are some called Channellock 212 4-1/2-Inch Jaw Capacity Pliers.
Also
TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers. These come in different sizes with a 16” one.

Am at a rea

Also

Am at a real loss...
horror freight (harbor freight) sells oil filter wrench adjustable 3 sizes, similar to channel lock, for less than 10 bucks.

Use a higher quality strap wrench. You can get one cheap on amazon, or a pool store will sell you one with a rubber strap. I have both fabric and rubber and the rubber grabs on PVC a little better. In the future you should only really be hand tightening the unions.

If you are going to use a metal oil filter style wrench, put a rag between it and the PVC to avoid damage. I've even seen a pipe wrench used in this fashion.

Also

Am at a real loss...
Use a "strap wrench." You can probably find one at Harbor Fright, if not, Home Depot. Buy a pair, a large and small - you will use them more often than you think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.