What signal is a Pentair VSF using from the panel to turn on/off?

jetranger

Jul 19, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Trying to remotely turn on/off a Pentair VSF 011056 pump with a wifi 120v switch. I have the cannon plug/pigtail wire that came with the pump.

On a typical setup with automation and a panel, is it just a simple 120v trigger that turns the pump on/off? Or does it step the voltage down for the trigger?

Thanks in advance...

Pentair automation uses the RS-485 protocol to have continuous communication with the IntelliFlo pump.

You can use the Pentair IntelliComm 2 as a bridge from your trigger to RS-485 control…

The Intellicomm is an adapter that takes four discrete inputs and converts them into a serial command to the Intelliflo. Normally these inputs would come from 4 relays inside a non-Pentair automation system. Four pre-set speeds would be set up on the Intelliflo control panel and then selected by one of the four manual switches.

Trying to remotely turn on/off a Pentair VSF 011056 pump with a wifi 120v switch.
Jet,

Why?

When used in the standalone configuration, most people just program the pump to run the times and the speeds that they want the pump to run.

For the most part, the pump runs on its own and you almost never have to touch it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Check out the Low Budget Automation link in my signature. I use a series of Wifi switches to operate my pump and valve actuators. As Allen mentioned, you do need the Intellicom II to send RS-485 signals to the pump. The Intellicom requires 9-24 VDC to power the unit. For the four relays, you can use 9-24 VAC or VDC. Do not send 120 volt power to the Intellicom.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetranger
Jet,

Why?

When used in the standalone configuration, most people just program the pump to run the times and the speeds that they want the pump to run.

For the most part, the pump runs on its own and you almost never have to touch it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lots of reasons...

The screen and buttons on pump are clunky and the buttons/interface aren't the best. Kasa wifi app is about as easy as it gets.
I use my sheer as my main return, but I like to turn it off when its windy so it doesn't blow everywhere. I don't want to walk to my pump every time.
My pump is 75 ft from my patio. If I want to turn the pump on/off real quick so I can hear/see/show someone something, I can from my phone
I like to be able to change the schedule for each day of the week depending on when I'm home. I don't believe I can do that on the pump... (maybe?)

Check out the Low Budget Automation link in my signature. I use a series of Wifi switches to operate my pump and valve actuators. As Allen mentioned, you do need the Intellicom II to send RS-485 signals to the pump. The Intellicom requires 9-24 VDC to power the unit. For the four relays, you can use 9-24 VAC or VDC. Do not send 120 volt power to the Intellicom.

AWESOME setup.... thank you for the info! I really dislike the proprietary setups with each company. You've done some great work!
As always, you come through with great info!! Exactly what I need. I figured they stepped power down. I can use the Intellicom with a cheap wifi switch and a 12v power transformer to do what I need. I'd need 4 separate switches if I wanted to run all 4 speeds, but I usually only use speed 2, so that will be good 95% of the time.

Pentair automation uses the RS-485 protocol to have continuous communication with the IntelliFlo pump.

You can use the Pentair IntelliComm 2 as a bridge from your trigger to RS-485 control…

The Intellicomm is an adapter that takes four discrete inputs and converts them into a serial command to the Intelliflo. Normally these inputs would come from 4 relays inside a non-Pentair automation system. Four pre-set speeds would be set up on the Intelliflo control panel and then selected by one of the four manual switches.

Awesome!!! Glad

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.