What should be the Space between waterline tile and coping

bpuentes98

Jul 15, 2020
Miami
Im having my Pool remodeled. I had installed a travertine coping. Today they installed the waterline. The space between the waterline tile is not the same throughout the pull. Some gaps are bigger than others. Some are about 1/2 inch (the biggest) and some are smaller. What should be the gap between the coping and waterline tile? Is this necessary?

Attachments

• 8846CF89-D7DD-4D8F-ACEC-3552171BD08E.jpeg
    8846CF89-D7DD-4D8F-ACEC-3552171BD08E.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 190
Im having my Pool remodeled. I had installed a travertine coping. Today they installed the waterline. The space between the waterline tile is not the same throughout the pull. Some gaps are bigger than others. Some are about 1/2 inch (the biggest) and some are smaller. What should be the gap between the coping and waterline tile? Is this necessary?

It looked like they are going to grout with plaster maybe? I am not seeing any grout there now. The waterline tile has to be exactly level... the coping not so much. I would expect some variance in that gap between the tile and the bottom of the coping. It will be much less noticeable once it is grouted.

It looked like they are going to grout with plaster maybe? I am not seeing any grout there now. The waterline tile has to be exactly level... the coping not so much. I would expect some variance in that gap between the tile and the bottom of the coping. It will be much less noticeable once it is grouted.
They still haven't grouted. I was wondering if there is a required space between the coping and waterline tile and what is that measurement of the space (if required).
I wasn't expecting so much of gap. Not happy with the space. The left side of the pool has a gap of 1/2" and the right of a 1/4". I would've wished it was all the same or at least the 1/4" which is less noticeable.

Thanks for the response.

To go deeper into my response...... your original bond beam height was set to your coping material and skimmer set to the middle of the tile height. Now that has changed. The new tile is probably set to the middle of the skimmer. Your coping is thinner or thick than the original material and I assume was laid level. The bond beam or top of the pool gunite shell is never perfectly level across the whole pool and when the coping is laid down the mortar bed will be thicker and thinner to make the coping level. Some variables changed from the original build to the remodel and the difference is more visible or was not noticed before. This is assuming the tile and coping are level. Hope that helps.

To go deeper into my response...... your original bond beam height was set to your coping material and skimmer set to the middle of the tile height. Now that has changed. The new tile is probably set to the middle of the skimmer. Your coping is thinner or thick than the original material and I assume was laid level. The bond beam or top of the pool gunite shell is never perfectly level across the whole pool and when the coping is laid down the mortar bed will be thicker and thinner to make the coping level. Some variables changed from the original build to the remodel and the difference is more visible or was not noticed before. This is assuming the tile and coping are level. Hope that helps.
the 1/4" doesn't bother me much but the 1/2" is. thank you!

Just trying to offer the explanation to why there is a gap.
The difference between 1/2 and 1/4" is 1/4". you can ask that the tile be removed and the gap be O" at the low spot and have 1/4" gap else where. What I'm trying to say is there will be a gap.

Reactions: bpuentes98
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.