What risks am I taking by not addressing low TA?

PhillyPoolBoy

May 14, 2022
Philadelphia Suburbs
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I add a little liquid chlorine to my pool everyday. I keep my numbers as follows:

FC: 4
PH: 7.4
CYA: 30
TA: 40

I don’t have any issues, my pH never bounces and only creeps up if it goes in any direction. I need to add about 24oz of MA every 10 days or so to bring it down from 7.8 to 7.4.

In previous years when I kept my TA around 80, I needed to add MA constantly as the pH was always creeping upward. My pH is much more stable, I feel, with lower TA. I feel like if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

So what risks would I be taking by ignoring the low TA?

TA of 40 needs to be raised. TA can go down to 50 before it must be raised.

Chemicals suggested for raising TA. Their effects are:

• Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
  • Borax = big pH change, small TA change
  • Soda Ash/Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change.
It is often best to make large TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each step, as adding large quantities of baking soda can raise the pH a little and you don't want the pH going out of range.

Last edited:
With a present TA of 40, it is suggested to raise it to 50-60. TA 40 is on the verge of instability and can lead to wild pH swings.

Post a full set of current test results.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp
Salt (if a SWG pool)

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing accurate help without having to ask for this info each time.

PPB,

If your TA drops below 50, your pH "might" have wild swings, but might not.

You can't hurt anything by running lower than 50, as long as you are monitoring your pH and CSI.

If your pH and CSI are ok, then I can't think of anything that would be harmed.

Obviously, if your pH or CSI go crazy then you would not want to let it stay in that condition very long.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the replies. I mean I’ve been running like this for a month now without any pH swings besides a slight creep upward over time.

For the sake of playing it safe, I’m going to raise the TA to 50/60 and leave it at that. I’ll check the CSI and see if I have any reason to believe my water to be harsh. I’ll let you guys know what I find.

Maybe wait a few days after raising the TA. That should allow the pH to climb a bit. The CSI will change with pH also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crappy part is,
Never do both on the same day.
Yes, I watched a video on YouTube that explained that adding baking soda and then calcium chloride will cause some kind of powder to precipitate out of the water. I increased TA yesterday and am still in the process of sourcing some calcium chloride. Leslie’s has it but the price is not cheap.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.