What pumps do I need?

Gernot

Jun 11, 2020
Austin, TX 78736
Hello everyone!

I'm reopening my pool after enjoying it as a pond for several years. Originally, I had a 1.5 HP dual speed pump and a 1/2 HP booster pump for the pool vacuum, but they're both dead and need to be replaced.

Reading the Pool Pump Basics Education, it seems that most pools shouldn't require more than a 3/4 HP pump. My pool is about 15000 gallons, with a pool vacuum and a water fall feature (but we really never use the water fall). Was my original equipment oversized? What should I replace it with?

Also, I am reading that variable speed pumps are much more energy efficient. Can I easily install a variable speed pump, or do I have to worry about compatibility with my control panel? Switching from low speed to high speed was done at the control panel, and I'm not sure how it would work with variable speed.

Lastly, I'm confused about HP and SF, and how they relate to flow and wattage. Then there are also rated HP (HP), hydraulic HP (HHP), Total HP (THP). I think it would be nice to enhance the Pool Pumps Basics Education with this information, but I'll also take an explanation here ;-)

Thanks,

Gernot

Reading the Pool Pump Basics Education, it seems that most pools shouldn't require more than a 3/4 HP pump. My pool is about 15000 gallons, with a pool vacuum and a water fall feature (but we really never use the water fall). Was my original equipment oversized? What should I replace it with?
You can probably get away with a low HP pump or two speed. If it is in the budget, a VS is a nice choice because of the flexibility to make the pump any "size".

Also, I am reading that variable speed pumps are much more energy efficient. Can I easily install a variable speed pump, or do I have to worry about compatibility with my control panel? Switching from low speed to high speed was done at the control panel, and I'm not sure how it would work with variable speed.
What is your control panel? If it is a simple timer, you can bypass that because all VS pumps have built in timers.

Lastly, I'm confused about HP and SF, and how they relate to flow and wattage. Then there are also rated HP (HP), hydraulic HP (HHP), Total HP (THP). I think it would be nice to enhance the Pool Pumps Basics Education with this information, but I'll also take an explanation here ;-)
There is much more information in the Hydraulics 101 sticky in my signature.

Also, please read this:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.