ta 50
ch 200

13500 gal vinyl 24’ round above ground

pool math says i need

1qt 3cups bleach
4# borax
7# baking soda
5# cacl

Can i add all of this at once? I remember the pool store in the past saying add this then wait and add that.

Pool is algae free but still cloudy. Getting better. I want to get the other chemicals right hoping that will aid in removing cloudiness.

Thanks in advance

I'd add only enough borax to take your pH to 7.2. No more. Test it when you've let it mix up with the pump on, and check to see you hit your mark.

Then add your bleach per SLAM level and PoolMath.

Nothing else at this time. You actually don't need calcium in your pool (unless you have a heater) and your TA will rise a bit on its own as your pH goes up.

Maddie :flower:

Firstly you need to work on getting your pH up first- use some borax to work it up to 7.2, then you can resume your SLAM.

If your at 40 CYA then you should be targeting 16 FC and maintaining that level as much as possible.

You won't need the calcium as you have a vinyl pool.

Make your Goal numbers
FC 16
pH 7.2
TA 50 (no add needed)
CH 200 (no add needed)

So, add the borax, mix/circulate the pool for 30 minutes, check pH. If 7.2, add the chlorine.

Keep your FC at 16 by checking the FC every few hours and adding chlorine as needed.

Take care.

Ok. I got my pH up to 7.2, maybe a little higher. Hard to read exactly. Resumed slam. Pool is not clearing as fast as I would like. Memorial Day weekend has come and gone. I’ve been fighting this for 3 weeks. CC is 0 so I’m pretty sure algae is all gone. Brushing daily and vacuuming every day or two. Rinsing cartridge as needed.

Is there anything you recommend to help clear pool faster? Some kind of clarifier, or is patience the only virtue?

Thanks.

Ok. I got my pH up to 7.2, maybe a little higher. Hard to read exactly. Resumed slam. Pool is not clearing as fast as I would like. Memorial Day weekend has come and gone. I’ve been fighting this for 3 weeks. CC is 0 so I’m pretty sure algae is all gone. Brushing daily and vacuuming every day or two. Rinsing cartridge as needed.

Is there anything you recommend to help clear pool faster? Some kind of clarifier, or is patience the only virtue?

Thanks.
You only talk pool clearing. Have you passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

"0" CC is not in and of itself an indicator of the absence or presence of algae.

No clarifiers, they can cause more problems than they help. Patience is the key. Cartridge filters, along with sand filters tend to be a little slower at clearing.

Patience. You started your SLAM yesterday --- it takes days to a week or more to clear a pool.

Stay in SLAM until you pass the three criteria as shown in the article.

2 out of 3. OCLT good. CC was 0 or 0.5 for the past several days in my morning test.

Water is not clear. It’s milky looking. I can finally make out the bottom in the center of the pool, so it’s definitely getting better, but just very slowly.

By the way, my pool has never been as clear as the pics you referred me to, but it’s usually pretty darn clear. That’s why this is so frustrating for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool water can easily be that clear if you follow through with the SLAM and maintain it as guided here at TFP.

I was just turned onto TFP last September. So I still have a lot to learn. Primarily patience. Not sure if I closed wrong last year, but my profile pic is what I opened to on May 12th. I closed in mid November. I was very shocked when I opened, if you’ll forgive the pun. I’ll be making use of this forum heavily come closing time this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.