What measuring device do you all use?

I'm on a quest to be a bit more accurate when adding MA to my pool. I use gallon jugs of MA from the pool store and pool math typically has me adding 16 - 32oz each week. The jugs are opaque and impossible to gauge. Does everyone use something like a large measuring cup? The less I handle MA the better. At this point I've been guestimating and pouring the MA directly into the pool. I'm sure I could do better.

Is this for the pool in your signature? 32oz of MA would move your pH only .1. I typically use a gallon at a time, wait for it to rise to 7.8 or 8 and bring it down to 7.2. Smaller pools I see having this issue moreso.

To answer the question, I've seen people report using plastic measuring cups. I would clearly mark which one is for MA and for chlorine.

Most people just guess and pour it's not all that critical with your size pool. As you mention handling the acid twice just means double the chance of spilling it.

I don't have to deal with acid all that much I have one of those pools you here about where my pH stays @7.4 for months with me doing nothing to it. Probably helps that my make up water from my well is around 6.5. But I do use one of THESE to measure my chlorine additions to the pool. Since I use 12.5% chlorine I only add about 20oz every other day or so. Having a standard cup to measure makes it easy for me to not overshoot my FC goal because I know how much each cupful will raise my FC.

I'm on a quest to be a bit more accurate when adding MA to my pool.
Why, have you had issues with your current method?

Most people just guess and pour it's not all that critical with your size pool. As you mention handling the acid twice just means double the chance of spilling it.
This is the best answer going.

How I do it - Safety first! Wear old clothes and eye protection. I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged. I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes.. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.

Is this for the pool in your signature? 32oz of MA would move your pH only .1. I typically use a gallon at a time, wait for it to rise to 7.8 or 8 and bring it down to 7.2. Smaller pools I see having this issue moreso.

To answer the question, I've seen people report using plastic measuring cups. I would clearly mark which one is for MA and for chlorine.

Since finding this site, I've become more compulsive about testing and monitoring my pool. Quite frankly, my pool has never looked better! My pH constantly drifts upward due to my spillover spa and SWG. I usually add MA once a week when the pH hits 7.8. This does knock it down to 7.6 and then it drifts back up again. I'm wondering if adding smaller doses of MA twice a week would keep things more stable. I was thinking of a large, pyrex measuring cup for the MA, but I am not eager to handle the acid any more than I have to.

2018032216121333-IMG_2329-M.jpg

Mitch,

You do not want to use glass of any kind... If it ever breaks, you can't find the pieces in the water...

I use the large, thick plastic jugs they give you in the hospital for water... They have quantity markings and have a good sized handle.. Not to mention free... :p

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Edit: Pyrex would work good.

I don't blame you for not wanting to handle it, that's why I pour straight from the jug. What is your TA? Have you thought of adding borates?

TA is 80. I've not considered adding borates.

- - - Updated - - -

You can let you pH go up until it gets to 8.0 then knock it back... I like your current approach of once a week.

Perhaps I'm trying to "fix" something that really isn't a problem. I may just continue doing what I'm doing now. I do seem to require quite a bit of MA on a regular basis.

mitch,

You can let your TA go as low as 50 if you want... I just basically adjust pH as necessary and never worry about TA unless it tries to go below 50 or above 140.. I have high fill water TA, so it almost always goes up for me...

Thanks,

Jim R.

OP I use a hard plastic 2 cup measuring cup. I use gloves when pouring the MA into the measuring cup and I pour carefully over the side of the pool as you do not want to get any on the coping. If you get some on the coping immediately wash off with pool water as it will eat into the coping. I pour the MA into the deep end of the pool, with the pump running and over the jets so it gets distributed evenly and quickly. My cup is at least 8-9 years old. Hope this helps:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.