Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, I'm back after a long hiatus. I used to have a 12K gallon in-ground pebble-tec pool that came with the house we bought in AZ. I used this forum to learn to maintain it. Well, long story short--we ended up filling in that pool because we didn't use it much and it consumed most of the space in our small yard and too much of our time and money. I don't miss the big pool, but now I think we might try a tiny pool, a.k.a. a hot tub (have never owned one before).

I'm looking at round cedar hot tubs with vinyl liners. I've identified two possible candidates that are pretty similar in price. I hope you all can give me your opinions. Here are the specs

Great Northern Hot Tubs
~10 weeks lead time from Minneapolis, MN
5’x4’ cedar hot tub w/liner
Standard foam cover (rolling cover is extra $)
3 hp pump
6kW heater

4 benches
5 jets

Canadian Hot Tubs
~14-16 weeks lead time from Kitchener, ON
5’x4’ cedar hot tub w/liner
Rolling cover included
1 hp pump
4 kW heater

“Surround” seating/4 benches
4 jets

The difference in price is about $1000 more for the Great Northern model once I add a couple of jets and a rolling cover. My biggest question is about the pump and the heater. The included pump and heater on the Great Northern one seem stronger, but I don't know if that's necessary or better since this is more of a hot tub than a "spa." The Great Northern heater is also stronger, which I know means it heats up faster, but I live in north Phoenix, AZ. The low temps in the summer are in the 80s and in the winter the coldest it usually gets is maybe 35 but it's often around 50 degrees F at night. Maybe we don't need the stronger heater? We might leave the heat off during June through Sept. and use it as a "pool."

My other question is about the base for the tub. I was going to have a paver patio installed for the tub, but then I got worried after reading some hot tub manufacturers strongly recommend 3-4 inch thick concrete as a base. Both the cedar tub manufacturers have told me pavers should be fine. Great Northern also recommended placing 2-inch thick high-density extruded foam (like the kind used for insulation--"Foamular") under the tub/on the pavers--not sure if that's just for insulation or for extra support or both.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions about this? Thanks again! I'll share some photos once we get going on the project :cool:

Last edited:
The larger heater will heat the water faster. You need to decide if that makes a difference for you.

Either hot tub is likely to work fine.

I've never seem a cedar with a liner. They both seem kind of small. My hot tub is 7x7 and feels ok but kinda small to do anything other than sit in.

I know, it does sound small compared to 7x7. It is supposed to be good for 2-4 people. It's pretty deep (44 inches fill line, 48 inches actual depth). I want a small tub as it's just two of us and we rarely have company who would use it.

Hmm... I hadn't really considered doing anything in the tub aside from sitting in it. Maybe you're more adventurous than I am! :LOL: But seriously, I don't expect to "swim" in it. Just sit in warm or cool water, depending on the season/mood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.