What is this gunk?

Jun 19, 2017
Siloam Springs, Ar
Here's the story: numbers have been great so far this season. Last week had alot of usage in pool, 90+° weather, and needless to say, alot of sunscreen use. After having our last swim company over, only two people, I noticed that evening all kinds of kinda whitish gunk floating in the entire pool, and the skimmer sock was covered in this brown gunk. Had my pump running constantly and still didn't clear out. First I thought calcium, then pollen but now I'm not sure. That was Saturday and now Monday evening and it's not as bad, but still getting clumps of this stuff out.i wondered about sunscreen even. I just don't know. Could it be algae with these numbers?
FC-4(I have been keeping a little higher due to kids in everyday and extremely hot weather)
PH-7.5
CC-.5
TA-110(Little high for salt pool)
CH-395
Salt-3300
I am attaching pics if all goes well. Lol. I've read about slimy is algae, gritty is dirt. This is neither. It is not gritty, but soft, like wet dust or something...or, almost like soft foam. At first it was more yellowish brown, now it is more brown. Let me add....it is NOWHERE visible other than collected in basket. Nothing visible on floor, ladder or walls.i have a pool blaster max and I don't seem to get much in the filter bag. I did get small amount first day, but that subsided. I don't know what to think water is clear! Thanks for always coming to my rescue! I ❤️ TFP!!!!!IMG_20210621_194144065.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_194132845.jpg
    IMG_20210621_194132845.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210621_181036129.jpg
    IMG_20210621_181036129.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210621_181029724.jpg
    IMG_20210621_181029724.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 21
What is your current CYA level? Are any of these people wearing diapers? Any pool toys that may have ruptured or stuffed animals? Any nearby trees? How easily does it break apart?

What is your current CYA level? Are any of these people wearing diapers? Any pool toys that may have ruptured or stuffed animals? Any nearby trees?
sorry, i missed posting CYA is 70. no diapers, no pool toys that could have ruptured.(i thought of the pool toy first!) only a couple small tress next door that dont hang very near fence/pool. we dont even hardly ever get a leaf in the pool. when you look at the bottom, all i can see is a few bugs.

What is your current CYA level? Are any of these people wearing diapers? Any pool toys that may have ruptured or stuffed animals? Any nearby trees? How easily does it break apart?
no diapers, pool toys, or stuff animals. cya is 70. just a few small trees in neighbors yard, not overhanging fence?pool. it crumbles apart, especially when it gets dry...just like dust, will blow away. my sand filter was new at end of last season, only used it enough to get it hooked up correctly and clean out pool, so i wouldnt think the filter needs cleaning. thanks so much.

Check the filter. Might be sand blowing past the laterals. If you can open up the filter and check the sand, that would be good to know.

Reactions: charliej

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It kinda looks like pollen and dusty stuff that has attached itself to some oily substance. When you rub it is it gooey? I mean that’s my guess and of it is, that’s kinda cool. Getting rid of two problems at once. Pollen dusty stuff and people goo.

It kinda looks like pollen and dusty stuff that has attached itself to some oily substance. When you rub it is it gooey? I mean that’s my guess and of it is, that’s kinda cool. Getting rid of two problems at once. Pollen dusty stuff and people goo.
Ha! yes, that would be great! it really isnt gooey, BUT it really does look like that is kinda what it might be. when i rub it between my fingers, it has the consistency and feel of just wet dust or really like something out of a stuffed toy or something that got wet, lol. you guys are great in trying to get to the bottom of things for us. thanks!!

no diapers, pool toys, or stuff animals. cya is 70. just a few small trees in neighbors yard, not overhanging fence?pool. it crumbles apart, especially when it gets dry...just like dust, will blow away. my sand filter was new at end of last season, only used it enough to get it hooked up correctly and clean out pool, so i wouldnt think the filter needs cleaning. thanks so much.
I wonder if it's pollen. When I use a skimmer sock the sock gets covered in pollen. When it's wet it looks like gunk. If I let it dry out, it turns into dust and blows away.

I was pulling stuff like that out of my skimmer hairnet when pollen was heavy down here (our season is earlier than rest of country).

When you open the sand filter feel around inside. The sand should be loose enough to scoop up in your hand or sink your fingers down into it. See if there is any of this gunk inside the filter.
ok. if there is, what does that mean?
I wonder if it's pollen. When I use a skimmer sock the sock gets covered in pollen. When it's wet it looks like gunk. If I let it dry out, it turns into dust and blows away.
that is what i was thinking and hoping, but never saw that much. it is still in there, but not near as much. when it is in the skimmer sock, it looks kinda yellowish(dirty yellow) colored. thanks so much. if this is the case, it should go away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.