What is this from and how screwed am I?

May 10, 2016
Hillsboro,OR
Today I popped the winter cover and started my standard routine. While backwashing my sand filter after vacuuming out some of my dead worm friends I heard something clacking around in my pump filter basket. When I opened it up and cleared it out I found this chunk of plaster (or what I'm pretty sure is plaster). I checked all my returns and don't see anything missing, and it is too big to have been picked up by the vacuum anyway. The only place I can think of it coming from is somewhere under the skimmer, but I don't know much about pool construction. I believe the plaster is about 10-12 years old (I've only been the owner for 3 years) and is definitely ready for renewal. So any idea where this came from and if it's a serious deal? Everything seems to be working fine, but my biggest fear is this was sealing something and now I'm sending water somewhere it shouldn't be going. Thanks! -Chad

The back of it- kind of looks like gunite attached.

My pool for reference (be gentle- I had just pulled the winter cover). I was vacuuming from the far skimmer at the time

That curved section looks like it is shaped like a skimmer. I would look around inside your skimmers for something that shape with that curve and indentation..

I suspect that it's probably just a chunk of plaster that got in the main drain during construction.

I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you start losing water.

Monitor the water level to make sure that you don't have a leak.

If no leak, you're probably good.

What size is the main drain line?

I suspect that it's probably just a chunk of plaster that got in the main drain during construction.

I wouldn't be too worried about it unless you start losing water.

Monitor the water level to make sure that you don't have a leak.

If no leak, you're probably good.

What size is the main drain line?

Sorry for the late response- I wasn’t sure so had to go back into the archives and look at the blueprints we were given! Main drain is 2 inches and the skimmers are 1.5. I’ve had the pump running all day and the water level hasn’t changed so hopefully you’re right. My crude drawing of the inner diameter of the piece of it was complete seems to be about 2.5 inches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.