Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m working on dialing in my SWG, I know it will fluctuate based on use, but my FC is at a consistent 2-3ppm. Anyway, I have no CYA according to the black dot TFP test kit, so I know my FC is going to be much harder to control. According to pool math I think I need 15 lbs of CYA but I don’t think my pool builder left me any. What is this particular chemical and where is the best place to get CYA?

Attachments

• IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 54
I’m working on dialing in my SWG, I know it will fluctuate based on use, but my FC is at a consistent 2-3ppm. Anyway, I have no CYA according to the black dot TFP test kit, so I know my FC is going to be much harder to control. According to pool math I think I need 15 lbs of CYA but I don’t think my pool builder left me any. What is this particular chemical and where is the best place to get CYA?
That is not CYA. CYA = chlorine stabilizer and can be found at hardeare stores, walmart, pool stores, etc.

Dont put the pictured stuff in your pool.

Reactions: proavia
Reactions: Mdragger88
That is not CYA. CYA = chlorine stabilizer and can be found at hardeare stores, walmart, pool stores, etc.

Dont put the pictured stuff in your pool.
I figured, that’s why I asked! Thank you.

Is there anything on the bag that specifies what chemical that is? If not, you don't want it in your pool. Dispose of it.
It’s so funny because everything they gave me is stuff that I have read to not add. It’s insane.

Reactions: borjis and Newdude
As noted, the bag is Boric Acid - see the Pool School for information about adding Borax, and the pros and cons. I entertained it, but so far my Minn. pool has not had any issues where using it would be a definitive plus. So why spend the money? Plus there is a suspicion that my dogs shouldn't swim in it...

FYI - we're still pretty cold for water temps (unless you've been running your heater!), so don't get too worked up about your test results yet. When the water is 70+, then your readings will be much more accurate. (Or warm up your water sample inside first!). Your SWCG may not produce anything until the water gets a bit warmer (65 +)

CYA - Walmart usually has "Clorox" "Chlorine Stabilizer". Read about how to add it, don't just dump in the pool.
It doesn't disappear much in the pool, so even though the initial load may seem high, you'll need little in the future. Primarily just to replace what you lose when lowering the pool level for the winter.

FYI - we're still pretty cold for water temps (unless you've been running your heater!), so don't get too worked up about your test results yet. When the water is 70+, then your readings will be much more accurate. (Or warm up your water sample inside first!). Your SWCG may not produce anything until the water gets a bit warmer (65 +)
I’m south of you a bit, in Roch, but we’ve had our pool at 85° since 5/1. I’m confident in the readings. With the SWG and vinyl, it seems like FC, CYA, and PH are really all I need to worry about. Thanks for your help!

I’m south of you a bit, in Roch, but we’ve had our pool at 85° since 5/1. I’m confident in the readings. With the SWG and vinyl, it seems like FC, CYA, and PH are really all I need to worry about. Thanks for your help!
You've got it! At worst, if things get way out of whack in the future, you may need a bag of baking soda or a few gallons of liquid chlorine. But only buy if you really need them, no sense having them around just in case. Wife and I grew up in Roch - Go Rockets! (Or for her - Go Spartans!)

According to pool math I need 4.5 gallons of this?! Holy shoot it’s expensive.

IMG_2669.jpeg
IMG_2668.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get "Chorine Stabilizer" (dry granules). Amazon, Wmart, Lowes, HD. Use online search for WMart/Lowes/HD in your town to see if there is stock, or order on Amazon. Liquid is problematic and expensive.

Get "Chorine Stabilizer" (dry granules). Amazon, Wmart, Lowes, HD. Use online search for WMart/Lowes/HD in your town to see if there is stock, or order on Amazon. Liquid is problematic and expensive.
Problematic in what way? Because I just bought $200 of this stuff. It’s listed as an option on the pool math app.

Problematic in what way? Because I just bought $200 of this stuff. It’s listed as an option on the pool math app.
OOOF....I'd take it back. Just too expensive compared to other options.

The problematic part is that you must use the entire jug, and rinse multiple times to get all of the product out. You cannot mix/stir the bottle well enough to reliably add a portion of the bottle. Many times, a full bottle will add too much based on the situation.

It is perfectly fine to use if you use a full bottle and ensure you rinse all the product out. It is just a really expensive option.

Lots of more reasonable options:

This is available at the 55th St. Walmart. You'll need about 2.5-3 bags if at 0 CYA. $62 total.
In future years, perhaps a bag, once, to replace what was lost when you have to lower your pool for the winter.

Walmart Stabilizer

But if you order from the Amazon link above, then it will only be $45

Reactions: Mattikuss
FWIW -
Menard's seems to always have good pricing and stock on pool salt (might need next spring after rain/snow refill the pool) - I needed 4 bags this year.
Menards is convenient for liquid chlorine - but check date codes. Might need for early spring cold water use, or very late fall when water temps cause the SWCG to stop working. But no need for a personal stock outside of those times. The exception may be buying a large amount if pool is green when uncovering in the spring, OR you really, really let it get away from you over the summer.
Menards again for the Muriatic Acid - a gallon at a time is fine.
Costco (or probably Sam's or Walmart) for big bags of baking soda, IF needed. But again, no need to buy unless testing says otherwise.
CYA we've covered.

That's all that likely is ever needed.

After decades of $3-600 in chems each year (tabs, algaecides, clarifiers, flocs, etc). I'm shocked at how little I'm spending AND how little time the pool needs, now that I have the SWCG and a great filter.