Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all,
So I found these small pieces of debris on my step just under the eyeball diverter in my pool. I assume it was flushed from the system. There are no chips or scaling on my walls or floor, my CSI is .02 and all my tests are well with in range. I checked and cleaned my salt generator back in May and was hardly scaled. This has the consistency of limestone that powders pretty easily. It seems to have a very faint light blueish tint, but mostly white. It was just these 3 pieces. They all have a smooth side and a rough side which makes me think scaling from the generator plates, but the thickest one is easily 3/16" at its thickest point. Seems a little thick to sit between the plates of a Salt Generator. I don't know maybe 🤷‍♂️. I suppose I'll take it apart and take a look this weekend. Just thought I'd ask the experts if anyone's run into this before.

Thanks,
Jedisparky 20201014_173851.jpg20201014_173638.jpg

It is very likely to be scale from the SWCG. When the polarity switches, it sheds the scale buildup. Put a drop of acid on a piece. If it violently fizzes, it is calcium scale.

The blue implies copper in the water. That can come from the previous use of copper based algaecides or possible from the deterioration of your heater exchanger due to low pH. Do you have a pool maintenance person whom adds things directly to the skimmer?

Thank you, no I maintain my pool myself thanks to you all, I’ve got it down pretty good. I have been using my spa most nights during COVID so it’s getting a lot of use. I will pull my generator out this weekend and give it another cleaning. I’ve never used anything for copper as I’ve not noticed anything there I thought I needed it. I do test my water regularly and my numbers have been solid all summer. If anything my PH gets high at times and I add a little acid to normalize it to 7.8 but that’s normal salt systems correct?
Thanks,
Jedisparky

Good to hear you take care of things yourself. So should not be an issue, and yes, SWCG pools tend to like higher pH levels.

Do not acid clean a SWCG unless it is really necessary. Each time you clean with acid, you lessen its generating life by a small but significant quantity. Try to flush out any calcium with water. The IC SWCG really should not get much calcium buildup unless you let the TA and pH get quite high.

When Marty asked about copper, he meant have you ever added any cheaper algaecide or copper containing product to your pool? For example, some use Clorox XtraBlue products not realizing that they contain copper.

We highly discourage the use of any copper containing pool or spa product on the market.

Maddie :flower:

Ya, right. I understand. No I have never added any algecide or odd additives. I had to shock my pool once, but only liquid professional pool chlorine and have never had any problems since.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.