What is the white crud that builds up on the plates?

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
CircuPool RJ45+ on my second season. First season virtually no build up on the cell plates (I remove for the winter). This year I have cleaned the cells twice as a fair amount of white crud builds up between the plates. It's solid crud and brittle. Have to soak in water/MA bath to loosen the white crud from the plates and hose eventually rinses it all off of the cells.

What is this white crud build up on the cells?
What causes it?
Curious as to why I did not have this white crud build up the first year of using the SWG?
Anything I can do to minimize or eliminate this white build up on the cell plates?

Thanks,
Jono

Calcium scale.
Are you managing your pool water chemistry to keep the CSI between -0.3 and 0? I find keeping the TA below 80 hells if you are not using softened water for make up and this your CH is high.

Yep I watch the CSI closely, and try to keep in the near zero range to slightly negative. CSI will creep up for a couple of days on occasion but not for long. My TA averages 90 to 100. I have the common PH creep and I'll hit with MA per Pool Math as required. Vegas water is hard so could this white buildup on the cells be calcium?

So my chems are pretty consistent
FC usually is around 6 (as we got colder water at end of season been running more 3 to 4 FC)
TA 90 to 100 (of course drops temporarily to 70 when I treat with MA for the PH)
PH 7.6 to 7.7 (down to 7.2 ish when I hit with MA, and highs of 7.8 to 8.1 when PH creeps high)
CH 375
Salt 3800
CYA 40 and appears to have dropped to zero somehow (I have not worried about this because FC production/maintenance has been fine at only running SWG at 40% for 10hrs). Cover on all the time probably helps with low CL burn.

Anything I can do to reduce the calcium build up on the SWG cell plates?

As I use the same water but through a water softener, my CH stays right at 300 ppm but I can let my TA ride at 100 or so. No scale build up at all.

Your best option is to lower your base TA to 70 or so or add borates. The borates keeps the pH rise in the SWCG cell lower and thus limits the creation of scale in the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.