What is the ideal "Clean" PSI for a DE filter?

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi everyone, I just backwashed my DE filter after I saw it was roughly 8-10% higher than the clean PSI. After I backwashed (2x), I had to up the PSI clean setting just a tad to about 14 PSI. Does that sound about right or is there no real common PSI clean setting? Its a DE6020 which says it is 60 Ft filter, whatever that means :).

Thanks!

Y,

Each pool's plumbing is different. There is no universal number that will work.

You will also get different readings depending on the pump speed.

Are you basing your clean pressure on tests done after the grids were removed and everything was cleaned, or are you basing your clean pressure on what it is after you backwash and add more DE?

Thanks,

Jim R.

great question and really good point. I say that because the last setting was "set" after I did a complete clean out of the DE filter, took all the fins out, cleaned, etc. Then I took the reading after I added 7.5lbs of DE in it. This time around, I just backwashed which would likely explain why I had to nudge up the clean pressure value a bit since there was some old DE in there I am sure.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Clean pressure is the pressure after a complete tear-down and recharge of DE.
A backwash and recharge shouldn't be a basis for a "new" clean pressure. Use the same clean pressure as the last time you took the filter completely apart and fully cleaned the grids and filter vessel.

A fresh fill - after a complete tear-down - is 7.5 pounds in Hayward DE6020 filter. After a backwash, the recommended DE addition is 80% of that (6 pounds) as a backwash doesn't remove all the DE. If you added 7.5 pounds, you over-charged the filter.

Always weigh the DE. Don't assume the scoop is actually 1/2 pound or 1 pound.

Clean the filter when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.
So if clean pressure (after a full tear-down and cleaning) is 20psi, clean the filter when the pressure rises to 25psi.

Yes, I did weigh it, I added 5lb 13oz of DE, slightly less than 80% so I I should be good. I think I follow what you are saying which is once I get true clean pressure, set the dial once, and use the high side as the basis for all backwashing. Do I have that correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.