What is the "cause" of PH rising and CC rising?

Not to beat a dead horse, but you keep saying your target is 6 per the app.

If you look at the FC/CYA chart, in my signature if you need, you can see for a CYA of 50, your target is between 6-8. I would shoot for 8 when you add your chlorine, so that as it gets used up during the day it is still in the target range. You can even change your pool math target to 8 to help with the calculations for how much chlorine to add.

Last edited:
I assumed (incorrectly I guess) that when I finished entering my information and then went to the FC readings the app shows current and target. The target on mine always says 6. when I change it to 7 the next day it says 6 again, so I assumed this was the correct target for me. Is there a way to make the number permanent? How do I change it?

The question I asked originally was the "cause" of a rising PH or TA and CC rising? I don't have algae, my pool is always clear, after the pollen season I stopped using so much chlorine.

I don't know about CCs, but heavy rains may have something to do with it.
For PH and TA, PH will always be rising, how fast or slow, depends on TA. And TA heavily depends on your fill water's TA.

Your logs show TA between 90 and 120, so still within safe range. I would not worry about it. Just wait until PH reaches 8 and lower it to 7.6. TA will do it's own thing.

You could try to lower it to below 80, but it will be a constant battle if your fill water has high TA.

Edit:
I just noticed you have a gunite pool. So you should keep track of CSI, it should be between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scaling.
You can play with the pool app how PH, TA and CH affect the CSI and go from there.

I don't know about CCs, but heavy rains may have something to do with it.
For PH and TA, PH will always be rising, how fast or slow, depends on TA. And TA heavily depends on your fill water's TA.

Your logs show TA between 90 and 120, so still within safe range. I would not worry about it. Just wait until PH reaches 8 and lower it to 7.6. TA will do it's own thing.

You could try to lower it to below 80, but it will be a constant battle if your fill water has high TA
Thank you.

I assumed (incorrectly I guess) that when I finished entering my information and then went to the FC readings the app shows current and target. The target on mine always says 6. when I change it to 7 the next day it says 6 again, so I assumed this was the correct target for me. Is there a way to make the number permanent? How do I change it?

My app does the same and I could not figure out how to change it. I have to manually enter 8ppm as my target each time. It would be nice to have the app remember my own target.

My app does the same and I could not figure out how to change it. I have to manually enter 8ppm as my target each time. It would be nice to have the app remember my own target.
That is the reason I kept saying the app said 6. I got a lot of grief for saying what it is. It should be able to remember your target as some of use think the app is telling us the right target. I guess I will do what you do and change it everytime to 8. Maybe then it will level out.

I was going to quickly post how to do it, and here I am 10 minutes later with no answers. Now I'm not sure you can change the target values... odd.

Regardless, your target is 6-8. Shoot for the 8 and that will keep you well below the dreaded bare minimum FC of 4.

The app is set up for the 'average' pool owner and pool conditions. If your FC loss is a bit greater, you need to manage that. We have discussed letting the pool owner override the target value permanently, but are concerned that one might put in the wrong number and things go quite wrong. But we are still discussing it.

The app is set up for the 'average' pool owner and pool conditions. If your FC loss is a bit greater, you need to manage that. We have discussed letting the pool owner override the target value permanently, but are concerned that one might put in the wrong number and things go quite wrong. But we are still discussing it.
I think it would benefit us. I was thinking the whole time that I was doing the right thing following the addition it was asking for. I guess I should have just been shooting for the higher number and would have never fallen below the minimum. Does it matter how much chlorine you have in the pool as far as how much will be used? In other words if I keep it at 8 and the next day it is at 6, If I instead kept it at 10 would the next day be at 8? Will it use the same amount no matter how high you start?

I’d love for it to stick as well. Perhaps a compromise to prevent things from going wrong would be to allow the changed target to “stick” only if it’s within the recommended range?

For example, my “recommended range” is from 3-7. I like to add to 7 every day, so I stay above 3. So every day I have to change the target box from 5 to 7.

With my idea, if I change it to 7, since 7 is still within target, it would stick. If I changed it to 8, since that’s outside of the range, it wouldn’t stick.

I can also see not wanting users to set it to low (like in my case, target maybe shouldn’t stick at 3 even if that’s within range.). So maybe it sticks if it’s between the current target and the max recommended value, e.g. in my example I could keep it set between 5 and 7.

Reactions: PoolNewb2020

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can also see not wanting users to set it to low (like in my case, target maybe shouldn’t stick at 3 even if that’s within range.). So maybe it sticks if it’s between the current target and the max recommended value, e.g. in my example I could keep it set between 5 and 7.
FYI -- this idea has been presented to the App developer and will be considered for the next update. This only applies to FC, as the rest of the parameters are all ready user set/edit.

Thank you!

Reactions: magiteck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.