What is the best floating pool thermometer?

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool guy left me a floating thermometer. I think it's the go-to model/brand: white, with hexagonal top (float). Worked fine, mostly. Got a little cloudy after a while. A little hard to read. But my main complaint was: after I took it out to read, then tossed it back in, it would float on its side, not right itself vertically. So I'd have to go after it and hold it vertical until it filled with water. I replaced that with a "unicorn" thermometer, which my granddaughter loved. It would right itself, but was a few degrees off and just now came apart (thermometer separated from numbered backing, just as other Amazon users described). So...

Can anyone recommend a high-quality floating thermometer: easy to read, accurate, rights itself when thrown in the pool, that might last more than half a season?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dirk -- you have ET and Screenlogic. Can you not add a temperature probe in your plumbing and hook it up to the ET?

I have had the duck and shark floating thermometer. Both have worked. The shark lasted longer.

But listen to Marty, I check my temp through the automation system.

Dirk -- you have ET and Screenlogic. Can you not add a temperature probe in your plumbing and hook it up to the ET?
I already have the temp probes that are used by my solar heating system (water and roof). And a third for ambient air. They all work great, except the water temp reading is only available when the pool pump is on. I can't use ScreenLogic to check the temp in the morning (which I like to do to see the overnight heat loss), nor late in the afternoon, when I usually swim, or at night, because the pump isn't running at those times. I can make limited use of the "Last" temp that ScreenLogic provides, but only for an hour or two in the late afternoon. Plus the kids like to see the temp while in the pool. So I can make good use of a floating thermometer for several reasons.

Katodude: Thanks. Amazon has lots of the "cartoon" thermometers, but the reviews are all similar: inaccurate and/or easily broken (which is what I experienced)... I guess I'll try another, again, and hope for the best.

Last edited:
I've had two of these (got another after smashing the first one flinging it end to end in the pool and missing slightly long) and have been very happy with it. The wireless feature is very convenient. They're a little hard to find right now though.

I have this one .... from a big box store, (dont know if they are offering 11% off )
PoolChem Pool/Spa Thermometer
Model Number: 13358 SKU: 2796927

It sinks down about 2 feet and is easy to read

Or....

You have a VS pump. Find a very low speed that will still move enough water so that you can get a temp read. Then extend the pump running time to the times where you want to measure the temperature.

Does not solve the kids wanting to see the temp while swimming. But they can do that from their tablets or phones.

I've had two of these (got another after smashing the first one flinging it end to end in the pool and missing slightly long) and have been very happy with it. The wireless feature is very convenient. They're a little hard to find right now though.

These are extremely difficult to find. I found one on eBay that is being shipped from Hong Kong. It'll take a few weeks to get here.

Here's where I ordered it from. I order the Bluetooth version. I really wanted the Wireless version with the display. They only have the Normal version left.

Thanks for the ideas, all. I'll sniff around for the wireless version of the Inkbird. I like the idea of being able to read from indoors or just standing above it (without fishing it out).

Reactions: cme4oil
Tip-o-the-day...

I finally figured out why the common white pool thermometer (the one with the hex-shaped float on top) would not right itself vertically most of the time when thrown in the pool. There are baffles inside that trap air. So a few strategically drilled holes solves the problem. Now that I sorted that out, I've decided to stick with the good ol' analog solution. But I botched it up figuring this out, so I decided to try again on a new one (actually, I destroyed a couple figuring this out, but you didn't hear that from me). If anyone cares for the details, I'll elaborate. Anywho...

Don't buy a thermometer online. I bought mine at Lowes yesterday (only about $7) and since they had just restocked I went through a dozen of them to find the ones that were reading most closely the same. Then I selected the average one from that sub group. That doesn't eliminate the possibility that they were all off equally, but it might eliminate the ones that are likely most inaccurate. Buying online you never know if you're going to get a good one or not. The more they have on the shelf, the more likely you'll get one of the good ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.