What is the actual water temp?

If my surface temp is 88deg. and my pool thermometer says 86 deg., what is the mean temperature for the body of water? I'd love a way to guestimate this without a 4-foot deep submersible thermometer.
Y'all have a great swim today!

I have a temp probe inline on the plumbing after the pump, so it’s water pulling from the drain and skimmer. The floaters always indicate higher because the sun is right there. The cycling water in the plumbing is more accurate. The downside is when the pump is off, the temp probe becomes useless.

I have a temp probe inline on the plumbing after the pump, so it’s water pulling from the drain and skimmer. The floaters always indicate higher because the sun is right there. The cycling water in the plumbing is more accurate. The downside is when the pump is off, the temp probe becomes useless.
The amount of pipe through the ground might have a minimal effect also. Definitely more accurate than standard pool thermometers.

Most thermometers are not that accurate as well.
You can easily have two perfectly fine thermometers read 3 degrees F apart and still be in spec. For example if they say their tolerance is +- 1.5 degrees.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.