samholton

Jun 23, 2020
Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are mid process with a Latham synergy inground fiberglass pool. The pool is on the ground and full of water. Concrete keeps getting delayed. I was looking at their forms and current grading and asked them how thick the coping would be on top of the pool lip. They said 6 inches.

Is this standard? Seems like a bit much, but the styrofoam forms are pre made. Or are there 4 inch forms?

Thanks!

What does Latham or your installer say about the thickness of the collar?

They said it would be between 4 and 6 inches. A variable range didn't make sense to me as the form is a single size.

Turns out they didn't know what they were doing and we are left with a mess now. Should have asked what product they were using so I could have researched it. But was hoping not to micromanage.

Attachments

• 2814234092187727476.jpg
    2814234092187727476.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 50
The plan is to remove all concrete and do it again. Hopefully without damaging the pool and hopefully with another concrete subcontractor.

After looking at the 1 page installation instructions and the 3 minute YouTube video, they did each if the 5 steps wrong.

Seems like a 4 inch form is more common (and looks better in my opinion). Any reason to prefer 6 over 4?

The plan is to remove all concrete and do it again. Hopefully without damaging the pool and hopefully with another concrete subcontractor.

After looking at the 1 page installation instructions and the 3 minute YouTube video, they did each if the 5 steps wrong.

Seems like a 4 inch form is more common (and looks better in my opinion). Any reason to prefer 6 over 4?
Hopefully, someone with some knowledge on those forms will chime in. I don't understand the coping ledge not being above the pool ledge and being over and against the shell like it is. If I'm seeing the pic correctly, it's thin and non-attached with nothing to keep it from snapping off later.

Last edited:
The forms are definitely put on incorrectly. I spent 5 minutes on Google and found the installation manual. It's five steps and they did every one incorrectly. They even have a 3 minute YouTube video that shows how to do it.

Hopefully all the concrete comes off without damaging anything else.

The forms are definitely put on incorrectly. I spent 5 minutes on Google and found the installation manual. It's five steps and they did every one incorrectly. They even have a 3 minute YouTube video that shows how to do it.

Hopefully all the concrete comes off without damaging anything else.
If the top ledge of your pool is where the top of coping face form currently is shown, after correcting that should make the top of coping 4"-6" higher than current decking form. Is there any chance they did not set the pool grade deep enough?

My guess is they sloped the forms with the expected slope of the patio. Rather than lining the bottom of the form consistently with the top of the pool lip. So as you go along the pool, the form goes further into the pool. Which resulted in the thin amount of concrete on the face of the pool (from the cantaleiver profile sticking below the pool lip)

This is a nightmare!

The form should be above the pool and not concrete in contact with the side of the pool... They might scratch the pool removing the concrete and the new coping will not cover it...
For my preference 3.5" to 4" max. Imagine the high of the first step to get in the pool if you have already 6" on top of the height of the first step...

Hopefully they will get everything fixed for you at no cost and without having to redo the pool!

Here some picture for my build, granted it is a vinyl liner pool but should be similar.

Form on top of the pool, for me screw to liner lock system and they put wood to make sure the form stay straight during the pour.
20211020_160357000_iOS_small.jpg

Pour concrete but the forms still on

32.jpg
Forms removed
86s.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My guess is they sloped the forms with the expected slope of the patio. Rather than lining the bottom of the form consistently with the top of the pool lip. So as you go along the pool, the form goes further into the pool. Which resulted in the thin amount of concrete on the face of the pool (from the cantaleiver profile sticking below the pool lip)
Hindsight being what it is, I wonder how it never crossed the PB's mind that the waterline would have been normal, a few inches below coping, at one end of pool and then over the facing of coping on the other end? I'm assuming he now has to raise the decking level to match top of pool coping level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.