What is a recommended pool filter run time?

Every pool is different. It depends on environment and pump flow rate. I have read a report that 4 hours on a clear pool is fine. If you get debris (pollen, leaves, dirt etc) you need to run longer. Usually 8 hours is sufficient for 1 turnover.

Yes that is correct I have one and a half horsepower pump in a 7200 gallon pool. It can turn over that in 8 hours. When my water chemistry is perfect and my water is Crystal Clear I only run the pump maybe 4 hours a week if that.

When I need to clear something and run the pump for approximately 12 to18 hours. I typically do it from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. depending on your electric provider you will be paying lower cost for electrical usage in the evening hours because it is not Peak load/rates.

My electric bills are typically $35 a month in the winter time, and 70 to $75 in the summer time with a pool pump running.

I try to get people to see the overall cost and savings by running a clear pool here at TFP. If you maintain proper maintenance chlorine levels for your pool, just by using bleach borax and baking soda or the BBB method as recommended here, you are saving hundreds of dollars in unnecessary pool chemicals, and saving a few bucks also by just using bleach borax and baking soda, furthermore you're saving even more money in electrical consumption and chlorine consumption when you maintain a clear pool because of equals less pump run time, and less consumption of chlorine, when you run your pump at night you save even more money on the electric rates, not a significant amount but enough.

Now pool chlorine only cost me on an average of $30 to $40 a year. Maybe $200.00 in electric costs over my 5 month season, sometimes $30-40 for reagent refills for my test kit and a few dollars for Borax and Baking Soda, or stabilizer and conditioner for CYA if needed, if i dont have any left over from the previous season.

I actually meant 4 hours a week. But I only typically do that when my levels are perfect and water is glass clear. If I see any debris on the top of the water during the course of a week I might run for 8 to 12 hours for the whole week. Conditions may vary depending on your pool circumstances, bather loads, FC levels and debris. These are just my circumstances.

4 hours a week is rarely enough. 3-4 hours a day is reasonable to keep the chemistry adequately mixed. But you might need longer for cleaning, heating, or chlorine generation.

Does CYA levels naturally drop when winterizing the pool? We opened the pool to green water and now the water is clear after adding liquid chlorine each day but our CYA tests low. The previous owner used trichlor tabs in a chlorinator last season so we don't understand how CYA could be low.

It can drop due to dillusion from rain and snow or there are some bacterias that can convert it into ammonia.

Were you regularly testing your FC and CC in the process of clearing up your pool by following the slam process?

I have a SWCG so i run 4 hours each morning.... When it gets REAL hot I'll add a couple hours in the evening after the peak power time expires.

If I did not have the salt system I would only need to run a couple hours each day to keep the water good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.