What increases salt concentrations in a hot tub? Salt concentrations get too high for SWCG over time

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
I have a SWCG that requires salt concentrations in the 1500--2000 PPM range. Every 1-2 months, I need to drain and replace about 100 gallons of water because the salt concentrations get too high (and my SWCG is designed to shut down when salt concentrations get too high).

What things contribute to salt concentrations increasing?

I frequently add Clorine after soaks to ensure my FC does not drop to zero and I know that Pool Calculator can calculate the amount of salt added by Chlorine (although I've noticed that the salt calculation for 8.25 % bleach is wrong....it basically says no salt is added for 8.25% bleach but the calculations for other %s of bleach seem to make sense).

I also add Aqua Clarity weekly which may add some salts too.

I don't add anything else to my tub other than my Nature2 stick that sits in the filter. I'm assuming the Nature2 stick does not add salts. I think it's just adding Silver Ions.

Are there other things that lead to salt increasing in a hot tub? Sweat? Detergents in swim suits? The impact of running the SWCG? etc?

I'm assuming the only way to reduce salt concentration is to replace some water with fresh?

Thanks, Doug

Im thinking sweat 😓 & of course the bleach - also dichlor adds salt if you use that occasionally.
Mine drops over time due to splash out & adding fresh water back in so I begin w/ it at the top of the range so I’m still good by the time I need to purge/ refill. My tub is only a little over 200 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.