What I thought were old iron stains on my cartridge filters, is iron my water!

@magiteck Boofing in kayaking should never be confused with other term you might find in the Urban Dictionary, so be careful what you Google. You know about punching through eddy line's right? And the dogs.. are the dogs, they are Moe and Snickers.. they want to be involved in everything!
View attachment 326178
Got it - this guy sticks to class 1/2 rivers, so no boofing needed for me!!

Got it - this guy sticks to class 1/2 rivers, so no boofing needed for me!!
Actually boofing is just good technique even in Class 1 & 2. More than once I have come across a shallow rock that I didn't notice and the only thing that saved me from embarrassing myself was a boof maneuver to hop over it. Try it! Remember in white water, you don't sit in a kayak, you wear it!

Reactions: magiteck
Yup.. Daz it. I got a two pack since I have a 20K gal pool and the recommended dosage is one quart/10K gallons. I got it on Amazon for around $50 bux.. I see its now about $40 bux for the same 2 pack.
Thanks! I ordered from Amazon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Were you surprised by the 2nd round of smokey water? Is it starting to drop crystals again on the bottom? I think I'll start with polyfill and get out as much as I can and then do this.

Did you ever experiment on the white powder?
Actually yeah, I put some MA on it per your request and nuthin' no fizz. It did turn a slight yellow.. not sure if that is Iron or other impurities.. What else can I try that would be within the scope of a TF-100 reagents and other common cleaning products. I'm trying to find the microscope I bought for the kids 15-20 years ago.. see if I can see any "crystals" . I feel like Spock endeavoring to build a mnemonic memory circuit with stone knives and bearskins.

Star Trek Wow GIF

Reactions: Snoobug
Were you surprised by the 2nd round of smokey water? Is it starting to drop crystals again on the bottom? I think I'll start with polyfill and get out as much as I can and then do this.
Yes actually I was.. I thought I was done. This afternoon it seemed to be starting get lighter and perhaps to drop out.... again. It really seemed to correspond with when I turned on the SWG and the FC stabilized at around 5 or 6.

Actually yeah, I put some MA on it per your request and nuthin' no fizz. It did turn a slight yellow.. not sure if that is Iron or other impurities.. What else can I try that would be within the scope of a TF-100 reagents and other common cleaning products. I'm trying to find the microscope I bought for the kids 15-20 years ago.. see if I can see any "crystals" . I feel like Spock endeavoring to build a mnemonic memory circuit with stone knives and bearskins.

Star Trek Wow GIF

Just as I suspected ... a negative result that tells us nothing! Welcome to the world of analytical chemistry 🤣

Very likely it’s an insoluble mixed cation precipitate (ie, calcium/magnesium/iron scum). Some of these scale inhibitor compounds work by interfering with the crystalline formation of carbonate scale by attaching to the surface of the growing microscopic crystallites and interfering with further growth. At certain saturation values (negative saturation index), the crystal will redissolve if it can no longer grow. At more positive saturation values, the scale inhibitor will attach itself to multiple growing crystals of scale and act kind of like a flocculant. If the scale inhibitor is polyanionic (multiple negatively charged sites), it can pick up lots of magnesium, iron, and calcium and precipitate out of solution. Many of these precipitated scale compounds are non-reactive to strong mineral acids like MA.

There’s nothing else in your kit you can use. Feel free to add the white powder to your next batch of cupcake frosting for extra crunchiness ...

Just as I suspected ... a negative result that tells us nothing! Welcome to the world of analytical chemistry 🤣
Sounds like the blank stares I get when I make something for the kids for dinner and I ask them if they like it. 😬😬

At certain saturation values (negative saturation index), the crystal will redissolve if it can no longer grow.
So I have this theory why I am seeing the reaction twice. Is it possible that it reached some kind of equilibrium (maybe equilibrium isn't the right word) with the Cl when it first dropped out? I had been holding the FC at ~3ppm after the AA addition. And then when I fired up the SWG it went to ~6ppm. Could that increase in FC with all the micro dynamics a SWG cell produces cause more chelated iron to go back into solution where the MM had a second shot at reacting with it? The timing is about the same.. about 2-3 days after I started adding Cl the first time and again 2-3 days after I turned on the SWG. The first time it got cloudier and cloudier and then I started seeing little piles of it on the steps.. It seems to be doing the same thing again. That sounds like your growing crystal hypothesis.

And by the way.. I just checked it my filter pressure is starting rise, right on queue as well.

Cupcakes, huh? 🧁🧁🧁🤔

Reactions: Snoobug
Hmmmm ... you did something wrong, your pool is a goner. Might as well rent an excavator and just fill it in before someone dies. In fact, you should probably just board up the house, chain the doors shut and leave no forwarding address!

I think you just need time and lots of chlorine ....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.