What hardwood for salt pool deck

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
We have a salt water in-ground pool. most of our pool is surrounded by paving, but we have a retractable electric submerged cover at one end that is covered by a wooden deck - approx 1Mx 6M (3ft x 20ft) - in panels to allow access. the wood decking needs replacing so wondered what wood would be best to use. The end result hoped for is a smooth board finish - Teak-like in look and as best as possible, resistant to the salt, although not worried if the wood weathers and goes grey.

Many thanks,

R.

Be VERY careful with Trex or any synthetic deck material. It gets EXTREMELY hot in the sun. We visit a condo at Satellite Beach Florida where their pool is surrounded by pavers for the first level, then a Trex or similar second level with steps and ramps, etc. The pavers get hot, but the Trex/Trex-like material is much hotter. Blistering hot.

Be VERY careful with Trex or any synthetic deck material. It gets EXTREMELY hot in the sun. We visit a condo at Satellite Beach Florida where their pool is surrounded by pavers for the first level, then a Trex or similar second level with steps and ramps, etc. The pavers get hot, but the Trex/Trex-like material is much hotter. Blistering hot.
yes, although I didn't actually post my worries on how hot synthetic materials get, it did cross my mind. Most of the synthetic materials have this problem - weirdly this year, I put the wrong product on the current decking in an attempt to give it a new lease of life and it has been a disaster making the boards roasting-hot in the sun....which is one of the reasons I am now looking to renew it completely.

Quarter sawn white oak. If you want to seal it, use linseed oil.
For a synthetic product, look at lumberock. Sister product is bear board. We've used it on a few outdoor projects. Still looks new after a few years. Doesn't get smoking hot like trex does. Easy to clean. Our clients have been very happy with it.

Reactions: mickey4paws
I would say Ipe too, be aware it's heavy (doesn't float). It can be kept the rich brown color with cleaning and applying an appropriate protectant otherwise it turn grey. Other wood options would be Cumaru, Garapa or Tigerwood.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
^Thirded, Ipe, Cumaru or Garapa. We have two decks I re-planked with Garapa and I just love it. Super dense, hard, smooth, strong and if you don't mind it eventually going grey color than no upkeep. Otherwise, clean and stain it every few years just for appearance. Stays much cooler on the feet than composite and when I bought material a few years ago Garapa was less $/sqft than Trex or equivalent.

Attachments

• 20220809_140424.jpg
    20220809_140424.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 13
I am not sure if it is Trex or not, but I have head some of it is really slippery when wet. One other possible reason to not use it would be the joint spacing might be to larger for it. If it gets hot 12" spacing would help keep it from sagging.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.