What happened to my water?

Curious, what part of Austin are you in? That place has grown like crazy. Any new developments or local spraying that may explain something getting in your water? Do you have a neighbor nearby with a pool who is experiencing the same issue?

Curious, what part of Austin are you in? That place has grown like crazy. Any new developments or local spraying that may explain something getting in your water? Do you have a neighbor nearby with a pool who is experiencing the same issue?
I'm central, so there's plenty of development close-ish but not close enough to be affecting my pool. And this has happened 3 times over almost 5 years, so I can't pin it on a recent change.

It only happens during a perfect storm (pun intended) of high rain and low chlorine because I screwed something up or wasn't watching for an extended period of time. It hasn't happened in years because I keep my FC higher than I used to. It seems to have happened this time because the SWG stopped generating chlorine.

Certainly is odd. :scratch: A handful of us have thrown just about everything we could think of at you, and the common denominator seems to be low chlorine combined with local weather. I'm out in the country surrounded by corn fields and stuff. I get strong winds and junk in my pool all the time, but I've not had your scenario happen - yet. Keep that stuff up there. :poke:

Certainly is odd. :scratch: A handful of us have thrown just about everything we could think of at you, and the common denominator seems to be low chlorine combined with local weather. I'm out in the country surrounded by corn fields and stuff. I get strong winds and junk in my pool all the time, but I've not had your scenario happen - yet. Keep that stuff up there. :poke:
I've joked before that I could make a fortune bottling up whatever is eating my CYA. If you had high CYA, it would be a lot easier to use that stuff than to have to drain. 😆

Reactions: Texas Splash
I've joked before that I could make a fortune bottling up whatever is eating my CYA. If you had high CYA, it would be a lot easier to use that stuff than to have to drain.
"Drew's instant CYA remover." :stirpot: You're on to something. Ha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add enough to get to 20 ppm and test FC and CC within 10 minutes.

Make sure that the circulation is good.
This has happened 3 times over the 5 years I've had the pool, so I do know how to fix it. It takes a crazy amount of chlorine (like 6 gallons) and eventually clears up. I'm really looking for the root cause, and that's why I posted it in the Deep End section. It seems to follow the description I've read of ammonia, but my ammonia test strips don't register anything. And if it is ammonia, how does it keep happening - that's what I'm trying to figure out.

You have an SWG, so you don't normally use bleach, right? Is it possible that the bottle of bleach you poured in had been stored for so long that it had lost its potency? Wouldn't explain the CYA, but maybe the FC.

Last edited:
I've joked before that I could make a fortune bottling up whatever is eating my CYA. If you had high CYA, it would be a lot easier to use that stuff than to have to drain. 😆
I heard multiple times that if you had CYA and it goes to 0 you probably have a leak.

You have an SWG, so you don't normally use bleach, right? Is it possible that the bottle of bleach you poured in had been stored for so long that it had lost its potency? Wouldn't explain the CYA, but maybe the FC.
The bleach I started with is only about a month old. I bought 4 more boxes today and have had the same experience. I must have ammonia in the water, I just don't know how it got there.

If you have a leak but have an autofill it can mask it. This would not only dilute your cya but your ch & salt as well. Turning the auto fill off & doing a bucket test can help determine if that’s an issue.
At any rate fc got low, something proliferated, & now it’s SLAM Process time. Priority #1 is fc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.