What does everyone do with their cover for the summer?

May 21, 2016
Harford County, MD
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Had to invest in a new custom safety cover this fall. I would like to care for it as best I can. From experience I know what happens when you leave these covers on the ground in an outdoor shed...50,000 ants later.

So, what do you do? I’ve read it can be hung or put in a large storage container. My pool is not huge, and I don’t see how I could lift this thing to hang it in my garage. Or find a storage container big enough to contain it.

Suggestions appreciated.

I clean and dry my cover out, fold it neatly and as small it can, then I store it in my garage. A solar cover usually last about 3 years. Hope this helps:cheers:

I don't even bother drying out my Merlin safety cover, but do fold it as small as I can, then store it in a basement garage on a wooden platform that I built for it. I have a long piece of folded solar cover (that I kept from an old solar cover that wore out) so that the cover is not sitting right against the wood. I'm sure this is not the best way - certainly drying it out first would be great but I just don't take the time to stretch it out in the yard and do that - hard enough to get it folded once, into the wheel barrow, and down into the garage. I do keep it stretched out on the pool deck for a few hours before putting it away. By the time I'm ready for it again in fall, it has completely dried out - never saw signs of any mold, etc.

Had to invest in a new custom safety cover this fall

Most safety covers come with a bag for storage. If you have basement, this would be the best place to store in the bag. If you are going to keep in a shed, I would spray with a can of raid for ants and bugs first and possibly wrap around in a large type of tarp as well. Always helps to dry off and if a mesh cover, on the grass the process will be less than 30 minutes in the sun.

After cleaning and drying, I fold it up and put it in mesh bag it came with and store it in the shed. I did find an ant nest in it one time in the 14 years we’ve had it, but sweeping them off and spaying the shed took care of it. There was no damage to the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.