What does dead algae look like

Are you following...

Loosely. I drained the pool almost all the way, cleaned.
Yesterday afternoon:
My FC was 10
pH 7
TA 80
CYA 60

Did a test strip and FC was still high but saw evidence of algae today and dumped some more bleach in the pool. About 2 pints.

You need a better test kit then test strips.

With CYA 60 you would need to raise your FC to 24 to kill all the algae in the water.

You should target your CYA to be 30-40. 60 is too much for you.

Drain as much of the water as you can and start fresh.

The summer sun has been brutal! I opted for a slightly higher CYA level. I was under the impression for the intense UV it might help. Was that not correct?

I think CYA 60 is unnecessary in a pool your size and it requires maintaining higher chlorine levels. I think it complicates water chemistry more than it helps. And with CYA 60 you still got hit with algae.

CYA 40 and a FC level of 8-9 would have probably kept you algae free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So let's say my endeavors work, what happens to the algae, will it just end up in my filter or will it be dead in the pool and sink to bottom? How do I get it out?

Some dead algae will sink to the bottom. Most folks have some type of pool cleaner to clean dirt and dead algae out of the pool floor.

Reactions: Shellbird
My chlorine was getting gobbled up daily, I only recently realized how to read the pool math chart for the correlation of the numbers vs looking at them individually. Next year I'll run the CYA lower but I've only got a month or 2 left of summer. If I can knock this out and keep it going I'll do better next year.

Thanks Kelly, I think I finally got it killed but day 2 of my SLAM and we had a heavy rain storm... had to reset it all over quickly.
I get a little spot of icky green stuff at the bottom and residue in the seams.
Learned the word perseverance. I refuse to let this happen again!
My little pool filter is barely adequate. May need to buy a vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.