What do you use to measure/ add

In your volume pool, you really do not need to measure that precisely. Use a 1/4, 1/2, etc of the jug.

But if you insist on measuring, use plastic measuring tools. A 4 cup one is good. Should have one for acid and one for chlorine to be safe.

Reactions: PatricksPool
+1. I had 35k gallons. The difference between a 3/4 eyeball of whatever jug/ bag and 7/8 was unnoticeable.

I found a plastic container that I marked off in 8, 16, 24 and 32 oz. I always add in those increments. I have 2 - one for acid and 1 for chlorine. It does require you to handle the acid twice but I find it better then trying to hold a gallon jug of acid over the pool to pour in.
You can find something similar at Home Depot in the paint department.

While it may not matter with chlorine, muriatic acid additions are less than 1/4 of a jug or similar measurements. Also when my measuring cup is dry, I use it for dry measurements like CYA. I put it on my home scale and weigh out the amount I need.

Last edited:
Not sure what type of shock you used but suggest go with liquid chlorine or cal-hypo (since you have a vinyl pool) to quickly raise your FC if needed. I would err on the high side of your target FC which for CYA of 70 is 5-10ppm so maybe go to the 8-10 range to rid yourself of any lingering algae.

In your volume pool, you really do not need to measure that precisely. Use a 1/4, 1/2, etc of the jug.

But if you insist on measuring, use plastic measuring tools. A 4 cup one is good. Should have one for acid and one for chlorine to be safe.
Is it okay to use a glass measuring cup instead of plastic?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 2 cup plastic measuring cup for acid and a 1 gallon measured pitcher for chlorine. I know you don't have to be that precise with the acid but I have to be for my OCD to be satisfied.

I use my 1 quart measuring cup as a general guideline. The chlorine bottles are opaque so it's hard to eyeball the amount. I don't sweat it if I'm over or under a little.

I also pour straight from the bottle....both chlorine and muriatic acid. I prefer not to transfer
chemicals to another container if at all possible. Only handle it once. Lower jug halfway
into the water, tip to pour, cap it, dunk to clean and done.

I'm not worried about slightly overshooting the FC. Since I "know" my pool’s appetite, I tend
to go slower on the MA and adjust as needed as I test. Usually right on the mark, which is totally
satisfying!

Reactions: Kellyp and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.