What do you all use for measuring chemicals?

Also, I trust ChemGeek explicitly.....unless things have changed in the 6 years he wrote this??
Post #7:

My own brand of MA wasn’t vented but many are. And my bottles were relying on that flimsy cardboard disk inside the cap to keep them sealed. It is only a matter of time before it’s vented unintentionally. It’s best to treat them all like they are. MA fumes are some nasty stuffs.

My own brand of MA wasn’t vented but many are. And my bottles were relying on that flimsy cardboard disk inside the cap to keep them sealed. It is only a matter of time before it’s vented unintentionally. It’s best to treat them all like they are. MA fumes are some nasty stuffs.
Yes, THAT I understand!!
Can you smell it upside down? Rightside up? In its storage area???
Pretty much no, no, and no. BUT.. I don't want to screw up either...

I also just eyeball, but have been doing teaspoon chemistry for a long time, and have a better than average eyeball. ;) I recommend measuring spoons/cups.
As for how nasty MA is, you have no idea until you have acid washed a plaster pool. Any of you who have know exactly what I mean.:sick:
I have acid washed effervescence off a cinder block wall... yes I know exactly what you mean.. and its some nasty stuff!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RDspaguy
Then why can I invert it, and squeeze it with no leakage
I’m sorry I have to come back to this. Many future readers will see this and possibly get a bad idea. *Never do THIS*. At best you are right and your bottle doesn’t leak/vent. You’ve gained nothing but a self pat on the back. At worst you are covered in Acid.

never
NEVER
Ever.

*end rant*. Back to your scheduled programming......

I just dispense from the original jugs. ..except for the powdered stuff, I use a plastic measuring cup. When I first started I calibrated a ruler that showed me how much volume I would get out of a gallon jug. I would make a tic mark on the outside of the jug with a Sharpie at the current level of the liquid (MA or LC) then measure down to a pint, or a cup or a quart or whatever amount I needed and make a second tic mark. Then I would pour from the jug until I reached the lower tic.. And that was my starting point for the next time. Now that I have an eyeball for it I just make a smudge with my finger and I pour to the smudge. I drop a lot less Sharpies in the pool that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m sorry I have to come back to this. Many future readers will see this and possibly get a bad idea. *Never do THIS*. At best you are right and your bottle doesn’t leak/vent. You’ve gained nothing but a self pat on the back. At worst you are covered in Acid.

never
NEVER
Ever.

*end rant*. Back to your scheduled programming......
And you are probably right DONT DO THIS!!... And I have gained the knowledge that the caps are not vented which was the point.

And If I could not do this safely I may as well hire a pool service..... But you are correct most should not attempt this...

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I just dispense from the original jugs. ..except for the powdered stuff, I use a plastic measuring cup. When I first started I calibrated a ruler that showed me how much volume I would get out of a gallon jug. I would make a tic mark on the outside of the jug with a Sharpie at the current level of the liquid (MA or LC) then measure down to a pint, or a cup or whatever amount I needed and make a second tic mark. Then I would pour from the jug until I reached the lower tic.. And that was my starting point for the next time. Now I have an eyeball for it and I just make a smudge with my finger. And I pour to the smudge. I drop a lot less Sharpies in the pool that way.
And that is all well and good in a pool situation, but this is in the hot tub section and amounts here are WAY smaller. an oz or 2 maybe three is all.

I dispense from the original tubs, too. Hubby took it a step farther. He bought cheap plastic doggie dishes to set my gallon jugs in. So I place the doggie bowl with the jug sitting in it onto the deck. Put on my chemical resistant gloves. Use the 2 cup glass measuring cup to measure with. And the measuring cup has it's own doggie bowl, too.

The doggie dishes are to keep any spills contained. No chemical spills and no pool water spills on our new decking!! And once more hubby came up with his own way of getting a pool water sample. I need to take a picture - It best explains. SOON!

I dispense from the original tubs, too. Hubby took it a step farther. He bought cheap plastic doggie dishes to set my gallon jugs in. So I place the doggie bowl with the jug sitting in it onto the deck. Put on my chemical resistant gloves. Use the 2 cup glass measuring cup to measure with. And the measuring cup has it's own doggie bowl, too.

The doggie dishes are to keep any spills contained. No chemical spills and no pool water spills on our new decking!! And once more hubby came up with his own way of getting a pool water sample. I need to take a picture - It best explains. SOON!
No glass by the pool! If it breaks, it's almost impossible to get it all cleaned up. Use a plastic measuring cup.

Reactions: A.O. and wireform
I only use the 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup for dumping MA or Chlorine in the pool. It's extremely sturdy and has a big handle. It's clear so I can see what I'm doing without getting too close. Honestly, if I'm shaky, I wouldn't be dumping MA into the pool!

I enclosed some pictures of our old plastic shed that we converted into pool storage. The zip tie plastic measuring cup is for dipping way down for a water sample.

I only use the 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup for dumping MA or Chlorine in the pool. It's extremely sturdy and has a big handle. It's clear so I can see what I'm doing without getting too close. Honestly, if I'm shaky, I wouldn't be dumping MA into the pool!
NOOOOO! Danger Will Robinson Danger!

Put that Pyrex cup on your top step under water and watch it do a disappearing act. Now imagine you dropped it in your deep end. Now imagine you dropped it and it broke on the bottom of the pool. The only way you will find it is in the bottom of your feet. I use a plastic measuring cup if I need to. It even floats! Otherwise, I dispense directly from the jugs to minimize spillage. I mark the outside of the jug with how much I need to pour. Less moving parts that way, easy peasy!

Last edited:
I have both a pool and an above ground spa. So, I use MA in different doses: 12-20 ounces for the pool and a teaspoon or 3 for the spa. For the pool I use a plastic 32 oz measuring cup. For the spa, I would like to be able to store a portion of the gallon of MA in a separate, smaller container (maybe with a squeeze tip) so that I'm not trying to measure a couple of teaspoons from a gallon jug.

Anyone know of a safe container to accomplish this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.