What do you all use for measuring chemicals?

A.O.

Apr 12, 2016
Kershaw, South Carolina
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So what do you guys use for measuring your liquid chemicals and dispensing into your tubs? I started out just pouring from my one gal container of Chlorine (Is that CH?) and MA into a plastic measuring cup then pouring into the tub. Seems like too much chance for an accident or spillage so I altered my approach!
Fill the containers left side, replace cap, remove cap on right side and squeeze left side till right side reaches the amount desired and pour into tub and thats it!
IMG_5065.JPG

Whoa! That's a handy dandy looking jug you've got there. I can't say I've ever seen that before but it sure is ideal. Super improved safety from pouring between containers or against accidental spills.

We specify LC=liquid Chlorine and CH= calcium hardness

I wouldn't mess with putting MA in anything other than original jug though.

Thanks for sharing... I see the bottle label for reference.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mdragger88
I bought a 1 quart plastic container in the paint section at HD. It is marked in ozs and I highlighted with marker the 8, 16, 24 and 32 graduations. That is only volumes I add to the pool. I think it is a $1 cost.

Whoa! That's a handy dandy looking jug you've got there. I can't say I've ever seen that before but it sure is ideal. Super improved safety from pouring between containers or against accidental spills.

We specify LC=liquid Chlorine and CH= calcium hardness

I wouldn't mess with putting MA in anything other than original jug though.

Thanks for sharing... I see the bottle label for reference.

And that's what I was looking for, not having to pour it into a mixing container then the tub every time.. Will still have to pour it once to fill the bottle though.
Thanks on the CL thing.
No biggie putting the MA in one, just a plastic jug like the original one the MA came in, just make sure to mark it.
I think its for booze but works great for this, got the idea from some of the gas engine stuff that's out there in the same type measuring devices.

I bought a 1 quart plastic container in the paint section at HD. It is marked in ozs and I highlighted with marker the 8, 16, 24 and 32 graduations. That is only volumes I add to the pool. I think it is a $1 cost.
That works too but seeing as I only need maybe an oz or 2 at a time this is more accurate.

I use a mason jar w/ oz marks on it for bleach & my handy dandy plastic adjustable measuring spoon for ma, dichlor or rarely baking soda. I just use the google calculator to convert oz to tsp. If need be
42AADC0A-238A-4645-A03C-40D6D1DD0993.png

Reactions: HermanTX
Way too much concrete around my pool area to have a mason jar anywhere near it! And at that rate you are still pouring and measuring back-and-forth and that’s what I don’t want to do, too much chance for a spillage or accident.

I used an empty container of MA and slowly filled it with water using one of our kitchen measuring cups. I used a sharpie to put marks up the bottle for 1/4 (about 30 oz), 1/3 (about 40 oz), 1/2, etc since I usually add in those increments. When I'm ready to add, I just use the marked old bottle and find a reference spot on the new bottle to measure how much I'm adding. Note, I'm not transferring MA between the bottles, just using the marks on the old bottle to measure how much is coming out of the new bottle.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I used an empty container of MA and slowly filled it with water using one of our kitchen measuring cups. I used a sharpie to put marks up the bottle for 1/4 (about 30 oz), 1/3 (about 40 oz), 1/2, etc since I usually add in those increments. When I'm ready to add, I just use the marked old bottle and find a reference spot on the new bottle to measure how much I'm adding. Note, I'm not transferring MA between the bottles, just using the marks on the old bottle to measure how much is coming out of the new bottle.
Sounds like a pool amount for you., but for my hot tub I only use an oz or 2, occasionally 3.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For my pool i just use cheap plastic measuring cups. I already had the jar on my patio for something else so I went with it. For ma I only ever need a couple tsp at a time so i like the length of the measuring spoon - i hold it over the water when pouring. I don’t have to add things to my tub very often once i get everything in line upon fill as i run a swg.

I use This and buy a few at a time. If I'm in the mood I'll give it to whomever I'm helping at the time. Then at least they're following my plan. I use the same one for chlorine and MA. Rinses well and never had a problem. I always rinse it right after it gets used with the pool water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is the plastic quart cup I use. I pour from either a gallon MA bottle or LC bottle into this to pour into pool at various places.
HDX 1 qt. Multi-Mix Pail-2M3 - The Home Depot

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet - chlorine needs to be stored in a vented container. And all chemicals should be in their original containers for labeling reasons.
Chlorine is stored and sold in sealed plastic jugs, no venting needed. The room you store/use it in maybe but not the vessels it is stored in. Who doesn't have a sealed jug of bleach in thier laundry room?

Chlorine is stored and sold in sealed plastic jugs, no venting needed. The room you store/use it in maybe but not the vessels it is stored in. Who doesn't have a sealed jug of bleach in thier laundry room?
They have vented caps generally

Muriatic Acid caps can be vented- hence why you should not keep metals stored nearby, or chlorine nearby.

The cap on my bottle of muriatic acid is not vented just a screw on safety (push down to open) cap, same as my chlorine bottle. both came with a removeable seal inside.
And I can turn them upside down and squeeze with no leakage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.