May 19, 2022
Knoxville
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
4F2FDC39-1F77-499C-8F3B-8EE324C40E4E.png
My CYA is slowing rising. I added a 4lb bag 2 days ago. I don’t know how long it takes to fully register on the tests so I don’t want to add too much.
The pool has full sun until about 6pm and is burning through all chlorine daily. I added the recommended 56 oz yesterday and it’s gone. It’s showing the same recommendation today.
Should I add more CYA or wait a bit? What order do I add CYA, chlorine and calcium?

Last edited:
Post up a full set of test results from your own test kit and we can provide some guidance.

So you added 4# of CYA (how did you add it, sock method?) and your CYA is now 30, which is about where it should be. The complete loss of FC overnight (when did you add the chlorine yesterday?) is troubling. Add enough chlorine to get to target FC - 6ppm - and see what the FC level is this evening. If still above 3 ppm, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If below 3 ppm, add enough chlorine to get back to 6 ppm and do the OCLT.

Once you confirm passing an OCLT, then you can add another pound or two of CYA to get it up to around 40.

You can add some calcium anytime.

So you added 4# of CYA (how did you add it, sock method?) and your CYA is now 30, which is about where it should be. The complete loss of FC overnight (when did you add the chlorine yesterday?) is troubling. Add enough chlorine to get to target FC - 6ppm - and see what the FC level is this evening. If still above 3 ppm, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If below 3 ppm, add enough chlorine to get back to 6 ppm and do the OCLT.

Once you confirm passing an OCLT, then you can add another pound or two of CYA to get it up to around 40.

You can add some calcium anytime.
The CYA was put into the skimmer in a thin sock. I let it soak and then squeezed it to get it all dissolved.
The chlorine was added 25 hours ago.

To add the 6ppm of chlorine, I found a calculator online and for 15,000 gallons currently at 0ppm. I would need to add 112oz of 10%Chlorine to equal 6ppm. Does this sound right?

OH -- new plaster? Then you should be following your start up procedure for the first thirty days. Please do that.

OH -- new plaster? Then you should be following your start up procedure for the first thirty days. Please do that.
The pool company is supposed to be handling my first 30 days of chemical service, however they have only showed up to start the equipment and said they would be back next week.
I did find the start up instructions on the NPT site, but they don’t really give the order to add chemicals and such. So I came to the experts here and I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.