What did you do to your pool today?

Bought the last 6 jugs of pool essentials at WalMart just in case. They were from Jan 10th and I wasn't thrilled about it, but who knows when they'll have more ? 6 gallons is only 17.4 FC for me and it won't last long. How do you liquid chlorine people do this all summer ?

My local Walmart didn't have any LC. Nearby Lowes had Pool Essentials with a March 16 date.

Come on all you non-SWGers, what are you waiting for?
I learned of a costly side effect with bleach. The 14 year old tagged along for the trip to WalMart because she just switched to contacts from transition glasses. She's never needed a pair of sunglasses before, but does now. ($12.99) While we were there I picked up a nice looking pool brush because the old one was crusty. ($17.99). The state and county took their 8.63% combined share and going for 6 gallons of bleach cost me $69something 🤦‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88
I learned of a costly side effect with bleach. The 14 year old tagged along for the trip to WalMart because she just switched to contacts from transition glasses. She's never needed a pair of sunglasses before, but does now. ($12.99) While we were there I picked up a nice looking pool brush because the old one was crusty. ($17.99). The state and county took their 8.63% combined share and going for 6 gallons of bleach cost me $69something 🤦‍♂️

That's not the story I was expecting. I thought you were going to say the 14 year old dropped the jug, splitting it open, and bleaching the shoes of a nearby family. Now that's a costly side effect.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Got a robot six weeks ago, and it's clear now that I'll never go back to a pressure-side cleaner, so I bypassed the booster pump today:

View attachment 481542

One casualty. I knew I shouldn't, but tried to turn it anyway:

View attachment 481543
That's what PVC ball valves do, unfortunately. You should use PVC plugs in place of that old booster pump hose. Just less things to fail...

Charlotte Pipe - PVC - 1/2-in x 1/2-in 600 Psi Schedule 40 White PVC Plug | PVC 02113 0600

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, but I didn't have PVC plugs, and I did have a hose.
Right. I meant eventually. The hose could succumb to the sun before the plugs would.

The new cleaner-port-as-return isn't aimed like the other returns, though, so if it messes up my skimming I'll plug the line instead.
Do you know if the port in the pool is threaded? If so, you can install an eyeball and direct the flow whichever way enhances the skimming.

Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread

Yesterday, I swapped out my Pentair iPh check valve for a Stenner duckbill check valve. Was seeing what I assumed was acid building up at the tubing to nut connection. Stenner duckbill check valves are half the cost of the Pentair check.

Today ordered new duckbill replacements, a new replacement Pentair high flow air bleed valve for the filter (having this spare on hand saved me last year when the 2.5 year old original snapped off unexpectedly in the middle of the day) and 2 new IpH pump tubes. What can I say, I work in the aftermarket products group for my company and I see the benefit of having spares on hand. 🤷‍♂️

--Jeff

Reactions: Mdragger88
Opened the pool over the weekend. We’re having an unseasonably warm stretch, and water temp hit 58 today.

This was my first year leaving the pool uncovered, and it made opening a breeze. Had some leaves to scoop out, but nothing crazy. Needed to drain a few inches after all the snow melt. It was nice not to have to add any water.

Added 4lbs CYA, 2 lbs cal-hypo, and 160 lbs salt. Levels are looking great.

Now to vacuum, put the solar cover on and (im)patiently wait.

(Highs in the upper 70s through the rest of the week before they go back to the 40s. There’s a remote chance water temps could hit 70+ by Friday, and if so this guy will be having a record-early first swim).

Right. I meant eventually. The hose could succumb to the sun before the plugs would.

Do you know if the port in the pool is threaded? If so, you can install an eyeball and direct the flow whichever way enhances the skimming.

Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread
I’m wondering the SAME thing and I have the exact same port! I had the “ball” so I could point the water whichever way I wanted, but somehow during the winter (I close my pool), I can’t find the darn thing!!

Reactions: Dirk
I removed the Loop-Loc cover from the pool. I did it myself but it would go a lot faster with another person. I'll try to remember that next spring. I found a thick layer of fine dirt on the bottom of the pool. The water itself was clear. I manually vacuumed the pool. I had to backflush 6 times while doing it. Here's a photo of the bottom.IMG_2855.jpg

I tested the water for the first time this spring. The numbers were not good. I added a gallon of bleach and two bags of salt. I need more salt and some baking soda. I'll vacuum again tomorrow morning and then test again before any more chemical additions. Here are the test results:

FC 0.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.2
TA 40
CH 190
CYA 30
Salt 2400

Ran the dolphin 3x today. Went to Lowe's to get salt, $8.98/40lb bag, only because I had a return. Ok, 15 minutes to find that it was 20' up on a pallet, and no flat tote available. Total confusion on how to get it down. Left for HD. Available at exit, $5.49/40lb. Boom, done. $36.xx for 7 bags of salt...

Today I manually vacuumed the pool again. Only had to backwash twice. I retested my water again today. I've started inching my numbers toward the recommended levels. I added a gallon of bleach, 80 lbs of salt, 5 lbs of baking soda and 3 lbs of stabilizer. I screwed down all the Loop-Loc anchors and installed the handrail. Today the water temperature went up from 64F to 68F. Tomorrow will be an off-day from pool activities since it is supposed to rain most of the day.

Today I manually vacuumed the pool again. Only had to backwash twice. I retested my water again today. I've started inching my numbers toward the recommended levels. I added a gallon of bleach, 80 lbs of salt, 5 lbs of baking soda and 3 lbs of stabilizer. I screwed down all the Loop-Loc anchors and installed the handrail. Today the water temperature went up from 64F to 68F. Tomorrow will be an off-day from pool activities since it is supposed to rain most of the day.
Did u do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before raising cya? Its good insurance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support