What did you do to your pool today?

Did u do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before raising cya? Its good insurance!

Actually, I did plan on doing an OCLT test on Saturday or Sunday night to make sure the stuff on the bottom of the pool is fine dirt and pollen that went through the mesh cover and not algae. I forgot that I should hold off on CYA until I did the test. Fortunately, I add my chemicals in increments. The CYA I added today will increase by 16 according to Pool Math so it's not as bad as if I added what I needed to reach 70. The starting CYA was 30. If I do need to slam, I'll need a bit more bleach but it won't require 55 gallon barrels of it.

Blew off the day job:
  • Removed the new (and barely used) UV/Ozone generator and replumed
  • Mounted Power Center for SWG, connected power from panel relay, bonded, and tested
  • Planned and marked final plumbing run for SWG install tomorrow
  • Cleaned cartridge filters for the first time (wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be)
  • Added and dissolved salt
  • Cut solar cover into thirds (easier to manage alone) and took a dip
  • Placed wifey's huge porcelain flower pots on water feature wall
In the morning I will grab some wire for the comm cable, connect to the board and power center and then make the cut and install the unit, check the salt level and fire this bad boy up.

Got the power box on the wall and the SWCG is now physically plumbed in. Wiring work comes tomorrow. I put 120 lbs of salt in so far and we're close. Should need another 20 lbs.

Man I can't wait for this thing to be up and running.

@midlifecrisis you’ve been a busy bee 🐝!
Also got n oil change and recall complete, state inspection, quick trip to San Antonio to drop off the exchange student at a friends house and back. Gonna get some sleep and get my new toy installed first light!

IMG_7196.JPG
apureworking.png
We're up and running! I hate plumbing so that part was awful, but the electric and automation was a piece of cake.

The era of jug lugging has come to an end!

EDIT: Also, huge +1 for the Diamond Crystals water softener salt in the blue bag. Dissolved in no time flat with just a little brushing.

Last edited:
EDIT: Also, huge +1 for the Diamond Crystals water softener salt in the blue bag. Dissolved in no time flat with just a little brushing.
I use this if Lowe's is out of pool salt, or in the case this year, the pool salt was $1 cheaper per bag. About 5 minutes of brushing and it's gone.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Changed out filter carts today with the spare set. I had to toss the OEM filters last fall when I swapped them with my spare set, and the end caps were disintegrating. Bought a set of replacement filters from Pool Guy Supply and those were the ones I swapped in today.

--Jeff

Just added LC to get to SLAM level. Our pool runs all winter but is covered, so it doesn’t get brushed while the cover is on. I keep FC high, but still open to a dusty mess until the water gets filtered well. Cleaned the filter a couple of weeks ago in prep for opening. Will top off the salt once I shut off the SWG for the OCLT.

Water temp is 70°. Getting ready for that first chilling dive of the year!

Finished the SWG install, and up and running, cleaned the patio and decking and odds and ends around the pool so I can sit out there in the morning listening to the water while drinking coffee.

Will add my actuators in a couple of weeks, but for now, I'm done.

Just Took the cover off! Pool is officially open! Water temp is 72F
F36A4EDE-6AD6-494E-849D-11E9CE87210D.jpeg
Fc is 16ppm - been running my little swg 10hrs/day while the cover was on since the temps were rising so quickly incase slam was necessary. We’ll see what the oclt says!
Robert 🤖 is doing his work now with the fine filter basket. Now off to attempt to fold my giant tarp into a tiny square 🤣🤣

so I can sit out there in the morning listening to the water while drinking coffee.
Coffee Day GIF by LookHUMAN

I agree!! The best part of having a pool!

Just Took the cover off! Pool is officially open! Water temp is 72F
View attachment 483038
Fc is 16ppm - been running my little swg 10hrs/day while the cover was on since the temps were rising so quickly incase slam was necessary. We’ll see what the oclt says!
Robert 🤖 is doing his work now with the fine filter basket. Now off to attempt to fold my giant tarp into a tiny square 🤣🤣
Everytime I try to do something with my cover the wind decides to sing the way of her people.

The water today was 72, I put my feet in and realized that was way too cold for me. I don't know how you do it :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mdragger88
The water today was 72, I put my feet in and realized that was way too cold for me. I don't know how you do it :ROFLMAO:
The same way we endure -40 degree windchills. By being insane, of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support