What did you do to your pool today?

Well, I wanted to see how deep into the summer I could go without turning the chiller on. Didn’t make it very far. Pool had been staying in the low 80s, even through some fairly hot weather, giving me hope that the tree canopy growth was finally going to provide enough shade to minimize use of the chiller. Air temps hit 105° yesterday and are forecast over 100° for the foreseeable future. Water temp hit 86° and only cooled off to 84° overnight, so I pulled the tarp off the chiller, got it cleaned up and it’s now programmed to kick on at 3 a.m. every morning. Hope to get water back into the low 80s and maybe even into the upper 70s if we get some low humidity nights.

I repaired my pool coping, it was separating from the concrete and was getting loose, so I cut the concrete back about 4 inches, vacuumed all the debris out, then I added more screws going from the coping into the metal panels beneath.

Then I filled it with high strength mortar, flush to the top, so now, problem solved, should be good for another 20 years or soScreenshot_20220612-192645_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220612-192653_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220612-192656_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220612-192702_Gallery.jpg

I repaired my pool coping, it was separating from the concrete and was getting loose, so I cut the concrete back about 4 inches, vacuumed all the debris out, then I added more screws going from the coping into the metal panels beneath.

Then I filled it with high strength mortar, flush to the top, so now, problem solved, should be good for another 20 years or soView attachment 422913View attachment 422914View attachment 422915View attachment 422916
That looks like that was a lot of work! My old concrete deck has a lot of patches as well. I’m not sure if your ever planning on painting it. If you ever do, I painted mine with this stuff and it’s held up well for 3 years. Also it does a really great job of keeping the concrete from burning anyones feet. It made a big difference

I was having a leisurely pool day until….
My husband decided to do a (very needed but quite intense) project on the hottest day of the year👇

DD5B0D83-7B94-4F12-BF82-56019EE7E01C.jpegBC4D13CF-AB3E-4CEE-8ABF-AE2085323665.jpeg6FEA242E-AE6C-42DE-B0E7-4757C81A017B.jpeg
😳😳😳😳🥵🥵🥵
I put the kabosh on the dumping of the dirt from the bucket just in the nick of time! He was literally bumping the umbrella with it 🤣🤣. I just kept hollering NO, No NoO & waving my arms 🙅‍♀️
I made him sit the bucket on the ground & we shoveled into 5 gal buckets 🪣 to get them inside instead.
A literal trench had formed where the backfill settled, this had caused the deck to sink- it was worse than I originally thought & could really see through the gap between the deck & pool. There was also a huge hole 🕳 about the size of a volleyball !!
I am pretty sure a possum lives in there. We filled it in 🫢
We got it jacked up & supported more level temporarily but We are no where near through- tamping this is gonna suck. Did I mention it’s hot 🥵?
We’ve got to address the drainage & get some gravel under there as well. I wasn’t really wanting to tackle this until the fall when i had the cover on & it was cooler out.
📣Attention new above ground pool owners:
This is why it’s a bad idea to build a deck immediately around your new above ground pool. It takes MANY cycles of allowing the backfill to settle & adding more. We built the deck 2 months after the pool was installed- it rained quite a bit & we kept adding backfill & tamping. It wasn’t enough. I knew better, but when your father in law shows up with wood & tools ready to go - u certainly don’t turn him away!

Then I filled it with high strength mortar, flush to the top, so now, problem solved, should be good for another 20 years or so
That looks like that was a lot of work! My old concrete deck has a lot of patches as well. I’m not sure if your ever planning on painting it. If you ever do, I painted mine with this stuff and it’s held up well for 3 years. Also it does a really great job of keeping the concrete from burning anyones feet. It made a big difference
It was messy! I'm thinking of painting the whole deck, it'll really freshen it up.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Then I filled it with high strength mortar, flush to the top, so now, problem solved, should be good for another 20 years or so

It was messy! I'm thinking of painting the whole deck, it'll really freshen it up.
It makes patches a lot less obvious. I had to do it when I had the fiberglass steps busted out and replaced. That was a lot of concrete broken out and re-poured. It’s not that much of an eyesore anymore.

Reactions: newdude
Not bad! I read reviews, some were great, some were awful. Looks like you made out very well!
I pressure washed first before painting. There is a low spot where water sits that I have to touch up every now and then. I spilled some liquid shock on a spot once and it bleached it pink. I just rinsed it off and repainted that spot. Other then a few touch ups once in a while it holds up very well. It doesn’t flake or chip when I pressure wash it. I find it to be more durable then I expected it to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I wanted to see how deep into the summer I could go without turning the chiller on. Didn’t make it very far. Pool had been staying in the low 80s, even through some fairly hot weather, giving me hope that the tree canopy growth was finally going to provide enough shade to minimize use of the chiller. Air temps hit 105° yesterday and are forecast over 100° for the foreseeable future. Water temp hit 86° and only cooled off to 84° overnight, so I pulled the tarp off the chiller, got it cleaned up and it’s now programmed to kick on at 3 a.m. every morning. Hope to get water back into the low 80s and maybe even into the upper 70s if we get some low humidity nights.
This is my first summer with a pool so I didn't know what to expect for how quickly the water would warm up...turns out, the answer is early June.🥵

This is my first summer with a pool so I didn't know what to expect for how quickly the water would warm up...turns out, the answer is early June.🥵
Same in Texas. The last couple of summers were not as hot, at least not as early. This year is shaping up to be a scorcher. Chiller is doing its job, though! Pool is now in the upper 70s in the morning and doesn’t rise above 82° during the day. Right where I like it. :paddle:

Reactions: TampaKathy
I ordered new pool lights from Florida Sun Seeker. I got the LED color changing type that fit my Swim Quip cans. Tracking says they will be delivered this Saturday by USPS. The customer service at Florida Sun Seeker has been fantastic and I'm excited to try these. I've only ever had basic white lights so this is a big upgrade. I'll report back with pics of the new lights when I get them installed.

I bought another 5 lbs of stabilizer today. After adding 16 lbs I'm up to around 40 but I'd like to get up to 50 or even 60. I'm still grumbling about the prices this year. Last year, I could buy a 25 lb box for $60. It's at least double that now.

My liquid bleach is starting to run low. I'm down to about 20 gallons and trying to decide if I am going to shop for more. It has been a problem this year, with old stock, weak potency, and sky high prices. We've been in quite a heat wave here in Oklahoma which is great for warm water, but not so great on my chlorine usage. Pool life presents an ongoing dilemma this year.

I ordered new pool lights from Florida Sun Seeker. I got the LED color changing type that fit my Swim Quip cans. Tracking says they will be delivered this Saturday by USPS. The customer service at Florida Sun Seeker has been fantastic and I'm excited to try these. I've only ever had basic white lights so this is a big upgrade. I'll report back with pics of the new lights when I get them installed.

I bought another 5 lbs of stabilizer today. After adding 16 lbs I'm up to around 40 but I'd like to get up to 50 or even 60. I'm still grumbling about the prices this year. Last year, I could buy a 25 lb box for $60. It's at least double that now.

My liquid bleach is starting to run low. I'm down to about 20 gallons and trying to decide if I am going to shop for more. It has been a problem this year, with old stock, weak potency, and sky high prices. We've been in quite a heat wave here in Oklahoma which is great for warm water, but not so great on my chlorine usage. Pool life presents an ongoing dilemma this year.

I got the new lights yesterday! Florida Sun Seeker got these to me from deep Florida to Oklahoma City in 5 days! They were great to deal with. The lights are now installed. I'll take some photos tonight and post soon.

Replaced the lateral assembly in the sand filter. Will be posting photos of that soon. During that project, decided to redo some plumbing. I've got some lines that are a bit too long making for some less than stable connections to the pump and over all instability. I'm thinking this may have contributed to my pump case cracking. Will tackle this tomorrow.

Oh, when I was at the pool store picking up the new lateral assembly, I found the perfect pump for my set up. It's the Hayward Tri Star VS 950 Omni. This is the next item I will purchase. The overall size is right and it has 2 inch connections. I hope to add it next spring.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
I’ve been looking at those. Can you lock it onto 1 color instead of letting it cycle through multiple colors? I really just want blue since that’s the color of our plaster.

Sorry it took so long, I didn't see this message! Yes, as long as you stay on one color for at 8 seconds, it sticks on that one until you change it again.

As for my pool today, I bought one of those Wall Whale brushes. What a game changer! That is a BILLION times better than using a normal brush.

Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support