What did you do to your pool today?

Today I am finalizing a SLAM. Chemistry is in balance, water is clear, chlorine is holding.

Also, trimming all shrubbery from the neighbors yard that grows over my fence and the part of the giant fruitless mulberry tree that hangs over my fence that is in my neighbor's yard. This tree is a nightmare. The leaves grow to 8-10 inches and fall in the pool every time the wind blows. I have it trimmed every year but this time, I got some real pros and paid a price to have it cut all the way up to the top. That's about 3,000 leaves that will not be in the pool this year!

I am also having 5 silver leaf maple trees in the front yard taken completely out on Tuesday. These trees are not my idea of attractive and they snow helicopters all over my yard every spring with resulting baby trees growing in every nook and cranny. I should have gotten rid of them 5 years ago but they were kind of cute at that time. Now they have taken over the yard.

Friends and family will be here this afternoon to cook out, hang out, and the kids will swim.

It's a windy day again and the water is 72*

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
I gave the pool a good brushing, which I have been slacking on. Tested water. Added more rocks around edge of equipment pad. I put a couple of chlorine pucks in a floater and turned off the SWG because my CYA is still low (like barely 20) and I have a massive container of pucks from the PB. Hope you all have a lovely long weekend!View attachment 416671View attachment 416672View attachment 416670
Did you place each one of those rocks by hand? Looks perfect, but I think #47 at the bend is slightly crooked!! LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: B.lu and Newdude
Took solar cover off, running robot, tested chemicals
Over shoot water temp a little, pool at 89, shut heater off hoping it cools down to 85 by swim time

Cleaned the skimmer baskets for the 2nd time in 12 hours. The wind has been blowing 30 miles an hour non-stop for 2 days so that means extra leaves. I've also got June bugs early this year. They are already huge!

Did some brushing. I've still got dirt settling on the bottom and my Dolphin does not get all the stairs.

Added 4 pounds of CYA. Aiming for 40 ppm, but at the high point of summer, I will kick that up to at least 50. I will test on Friday to see where I'm at. I am expecting to be around 20 after 10 pounds, but maybe 30. When I hit 30 I will use pool math to hit the 40 mark.

I've got a burned out pool light that I discovered last night. So I'm shopping for replacements.

Have a great pool day!

I've got a burned out pool light that I discovered last night.
I just discovered the same thing. We hardly ever turn the lights on because of the bugs they attract. I don’t know why they go out if they’re not used. Given how much of a pain it is to replace them, I’m just leaving it alone. Interestingly, I haven’t had to replace the spa light in over 15 years and it’s the one we turn on most often.

I just discovered the same thing. We hardly ever turn the lights on because of the bugs they attract. I don’t know why they go out if they’re not used. Given how much of a pain it is to replace them, I’m just leaving it alone. Interestingly, I haven’t had to replace the spa light in over 15 years and it’s the one we turn on most often.
We hardly ever use ours as well. In fact, I estimate that the one that just went out has less than 10 hours on it. And yes, they do attract bugs! We enjoy the look of the lights, but I am pretty tired of the hassle. If I could find some that last several years like they're supposed to I'd be happy. It's a struggle for sure.

I washed all the pool towels from over the weekend, cleared the decks of all cloth items such as pillows and chair covers, put the cover on the smoker, and took down the flag all in preparation for a two day rain event. Sigh...

Oh, and today the tree service completely took out five 60 foot tall silver leaf maple trees that were in the front yard. No more windmills in the pool!!! I'm hoping this will reduce bugs and flying insects as well. I'm treeless!!!

Chlorine is continuing to hold after the SLAM. I was able to put in a mere half gallon of 10% tonight. Will test CYA after this rain event as I'm gradually building up to level.

I washed all the pool towels from over the weekend, cleared the decks of all cloth items such as pillows and chair covers, put the cover on the smoker, and took down the flag all in preparation for a two day rain event. Sigh...

Oh, and today the tree service completely took out five 60 foot tall silver leaf maple trees that were in the front yard. No more windmills in the pool!!! I'm hoping this will reduce bugs and flying insects as well. I'm treeless!!!

Chlorine is continuing to hold after the SLAM. I was able to put in a mere half gallon of 10% tonight. Will test CYA after this rain event as I'm gradually building up to level.
How much did that cost to scrap 5 trees of that size?? Was that pension funding level cost?

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$5,200. Stump grinding and all. They did a good job. Had about 8 guys here. All with different parts of the job. This crew has the big truck with the bucket lift, a chipper, a skid steer, a grinder, a dump truck, all the equipment. Fast and efficient. I was expecting $12,000, so when he gave me that quote, I jumped on it.
Amazing what the tree guys can do. I've watched those guys go up a tree with zero fear and was amazed. Like the old timers on I beams 100 stories up without a safety harness. My family would starve to death!

Been losing a lot of water lately. I am not very good at the bucket test. So took some dye and dosed the skimmers and the drain in the spa. No leaks there. I had a leak in the spa drain repaired a couple of years ago so I thought that might be the culprit.

I guess it is just cool nights and low humidity causing a lot of evaporation.

It wasn't today, but I installed the Florida Sunseeker RGB LED over the weekend. Decided to use a genuine Pentair gasket instead of the one that came with it, so I can't speak to that quality, but the light itself seems to be great.

Also, boy the niche was full of junk.. small gravel, pieces of plaster. The light fixture had never been out before. LED is on green mode in the picture. You can see my poor plaster (some of it definitely looks worse in the picture due to how the iPhone is trying to use AI and long exposure in night mode) :(

IMG_4667.JPGIMG_4678.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul & Crystal
I added a second set of timers to the pool pump. Our electric rates increase 50% M-F from 2pm - 7pm so I’m running the pump in the morning then have it kick back on for a couple hours after 7pm. We received the Betta 2 last week and it’s been running flawlessly right out of the box. Arrived just in time to help with the onslaught of cottonwood fuzzies. I’ve needed to empty the basket twice a day. Pool chemistry is pretty good, added a bit of acid today using Pool Math. I have the Pool Math app and I can’t sing its praises enough. Gorgeous day here in Michigan :giggle:

I’ve been looking at those. Can you lock it onto 1 color instead of letting it cycle through multiple colors? I really just want blue since that’s the color of our plaster.
I bought this LED blue bulb. I have light fixtures from 1984 in my pool, but do a search for what style bulb you have.

Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support