What did you do to your pool today?

The hubs is absolutely dying for a pool heater - He'd be so jealous of your 90* water! But he's also a cheapass and doesn't want to a) pay for the heater; b) pay for either the propane or electric to run it and c) pay for a new pump because our old-as-heck single speed pump ain't gonna cut it.

Your pump is probably ok. But the pool heater and installation for gas will run over $5k if you have it done. And it costs me around $400/month in additional natural gas charges to run it. Propane would be more. A heat pump, which is probably best for you, will be around the same for initial costs and maybe $200/month to run it. Heaters for sure are not cheap but I cannot swim in cold water. I can do upper 80s at the lowest. 90 is perfect for me.

Reactions: V___25
Yesterday I cleaned out Robert 🤖 - mostly uneventful…
fc had fallen to 6ppm so I added a gallon of bleach- I usually only need to give the swg a shot in the arm about once a week but it’s only been 5 days.
I’m thinking i need to add a little more cya (about 5ppm or so) to help my little swg keep up better - it seems a little early for a true 80ppm but it has been quite hot & sunny. Probably do that later today.
Robert’s fine filter basket is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! I can’t wait to see what it picks up. We have alot of crushed concrete & more than I like ends up in the pool. Did I mention the pollen? Omg the pollen! 🫣

90 degrees, holy moly that is warm. I heat the spa section of the pool only to 95 and that seems hot. wow!!

I have gotten the pool to 95. We had a pool party and I always run the heater continuously while we are swimming because everyone loves the hot water coming out of the waterfalls. That is really great! We all LOVE swimming in really warm water.

Yesterday I scooped a snake out of the pool. Just a little garden snake but those suckers are fast in the water! He was returned to his home in the tree line. Then this morning I scooped out like 100 worms since it rained last night. I could see the massive pile from my 2nd story bedroom window that overlooks the pool. :eek:

As I'm scooping those little disgusting creatures out, my dog finds a dead mouse floating by the steps and she proceeds to pick it up out and the pool and play with it until I can get her to drop it.

So yeah, all sorts of grossness in my pool the last few days. Needless to say, I'll be dosing with some extra chlorine just to be on the safe side. GROSS.

And it's going to be 90*+ this weekend so I imagine we'll be the pool.
Isn't it crazy we are supposed to hit 95 on Saturday and Sunday and then 77 on Monday. Kids will be sick from those changes in temps. I tease my kids all the time that mother nature would have weeded them out 10,000 years ago as their sniffling and sneezing at the slightest hint of pollen would have scared all the game away on the hunt. They would have died of starvation or the hunting party would have fragged them.

Yesterday, I ran 80ft of Pex from my water softener over to my auto-fill. It was 106degs and I earned the ranch water and pool time after it was complete.

I had to stop the bleeding. My CH went from 600 to 675 in 4 days. I was about to loose control of it. I'm excited to see how the pool responds to the soft water.

Your pump is probably ok. But the pool heater and installation for gas will run over $5k if you have it done. And it costs me around $400/month in additional natural gas charges to run it. Propane would be more. A heat pump, which is probably best for you, will be around the same for initial costs and maybe $200/month to run it. Heaters for sure are not cheap but I cannot swim in cold water. I can do upper 80s at the lowest. 90 is perfect for me.
PoolGate we may need to start a crowdfunding for that gas bill of yours. LOL!! You are making me twitchy thinking of my gas bill for 85 this summer but I have a cover so maybe it won't be so bad.

• Love
Reactions: PoolGate
Isn't it crazy we are supposed to hit 95 on Saturday and Sunday and then 77 on Monday. Kids will be sick from those changes in temps. I tease my kids all the time that mother nature would have weeded them out 10,000 years ago as their sniffling and sneezing at the slightest hint of pollen would have scared all the game away on the hunt. They would have died of starvation or the hunting party would have fragged them.

This weekend is going to be rough. On Saturday, my son has 2 lacrosse games and a soccer game, all between the hours of 10am and 2pm of course.

My son would have died out in the first round! He's terrified of snakes, spiders, bees/wasps, and plenty of other creatures so he never would have gone outside. He'd starve 3 days in and the other children on the island would have eaten him and put his head on a stick.

This weekend is going to be rough. On Saturday, my son has 2 lacrosse games and a soccer game, all between the hours of 10am and 2pm of course.

My son would have died out in the first round! He's terrified of snakes, spiders, bees/wasps, and plenty of other creatures so he never would have gone outside. He'd starve 3 days in and the other children on the island would have eaten him and put his head on a stick.
I feel your boy on the bees, that's my kryptonite. I would have had to organize the tribe to burn down the forest at any sign of significant wasp presence. Then again that would have killed all the game, hmmm catch 22 there, what to do???

I feel your boy on the bees, that's my kryptonite. I would have had to organize the tribe to burn down the forest at any sign of significant wasp presence. Then again that would have killed all the game, hmmm catch 22 there, what to do???

If it flies, it dies. That is my motto. For the past month I have been hunting down every wasp, hornet, yellow jacket and anything else that flies (and is a bug). I do not tolerate ANY flying insects around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cleaned out Robert’s 🤖 new fine filter basket this morning & WOW, the crud! 🤢
I ran him yesterday afternoon as soon as I received it even though he had already done his morning run with his regular basket & the pool looked clean. 😳
373AB506-9178-4310-970C-AEAE63AC2C25.jpeg

Brushed again yesterday, added 40 lbs of salt, 100 lbs of calcium, and another 3 1/2 lbs of cya.
Hoping to start running the swg Monday
This am running the robot, trying to get the rest of the Crud out before the rains come again

I was just out putting in a little acid, running the robot, and cleaning the skimmers. Wow what a hot, hot, hot sticky day it already is around here! I came in drenched from the humidity and full no-cloud sunny morning. Pool is 90 degrees so I think we are ready to swim!

It's actually closer to $500.

Woooooooow. And this is why my heater generally only sees spa duty :LOL:

We'll see how things go if I decide to extend the swimming season a bit with it, but already on a ~88 degree day I find the breeze too chilly when I step out of the 85 degree water lol.

Didn't really do anything to the pool today besides skim a bunch of leaves and other tree stuff out of it. Still need to get around to replacing my Polaris booster, it sounds horrible.

Cleaned out Robert’s 🤖 new fine filter basket this morning & WOW, the crud! 🤢
I ran him yesterday afternoon as soon as I received it even though he had already done his morning run with his regular basket & the pool looked clean. 😳
View attachment 413267
So.... is the fine filter worth it? I have been contemplating getting it. Powpow does a great job, other than the ultra fine dirt.

I really like the ultra fine filter. The ones I was using were from the prior robot that the previous owners left and didn't know exactly how old they were but they wouldn't come clean anymore and stayed brown. I just bought another set from Marina and definitely worth it. The robot was running slowly with the old ones so you may have to buy news ones every so many years after they stop coming clean but it's worth it to me.

• Love
Reactions: Lineman7
So.... is the fine filter worth it? I have been contemplating getting it. Powpow does a great job, other than the ultra fine dirt.
I think so. Time will tell. It turns him into a roving cartridge filter which can’t hurt.
We have ALOT of crushed concrete around my pool/yard & with alot of traffic/visitors it gets dusty. It’s also orangeish-brown - some kinda chemical reaction happened to it so we got it for cheap off of a job. I prefer it over the grey version & it’s definitely better than the mud we had before but I know that’s the major culprit that collects in my pool - if u look close the fine filter looks orangey brown. It rinsed easily to look brand new. I just did my 1st backwash & it was that color too. I have only done a few cycles w/ it & changed back to the other because we had some storms. Gonna put it back in tonight.

Reactions: Lineman7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support