What did you do to your pool today?

I see a NO TENNIS BALL rule in your from now on!!! Glad you got it out!
We don't really use any - we have several neighbors who throw them for their dogs in the lot directly next to us - so I am sure one got inside the fence and rolled into the vault.

I think I will make a little mesh screen to cover the opening...sort of like a downspout gutter protector.

Fixed the back up valve on the robot, the collar cracked. Fixed the gauge on the filter that froze. Will add salt soon, as I know it low. But will most likely be pumping water out due to the storm season approaching. Full set of test results later on today.

We got everything ready for warm weather. I tested water on Saturday morning and FC=0; CC=0; CYA=90 (I've told my husband to not use the granules or pucks, but he didn't listen); water temp=60; salt=2200. Our brand new salt water chlorine generator has been turned off while the water was cold. We added 6 bags of salt after I got my test results and ran the pump and generator for 24 hours at 80% and retested. FC=5 and salt=3400. Water temperature after circulating that long is now 62*. We threw the robot in for 6 hours, brushed walls, cleaned filters and skimmers. And while not really pool related, they go hand-in-hand, I put a new gasket on the Big Green Egg, cleaned it up, cleaned the frame of the Blackstone, and cleaned the Rec-Tec pellet grill. Bring on Spring!!

Over the weekend, I removed my 15+ year old Jandy Lite 2 heater that was throwing bits of rusty metal fragments into the spa and replaced it with a Raytherm gas heater (cupro-nickel manifold and polymer headers - that reminds me - I should update my signature). I also put in a new larger cartridge filter system and a chlorinator and changed the pool to salt water and added Boric acid (the salt and boric acid were added earlier in anticipation of the weekend). I also replumbed everything on the high pressure side (I redid the low pressure side last year) to give me more options when heating/filtering the pool and to let me turn off the waterfall from the spa to the pool. I'm 98% done with everything.

I'm VERY happy with the changes - the flow to the spa and the pool is MUCH better! :love:

Last edited:
We had a huge hail storm last night. Lots of debris in the pool. Gilligan II has pulled this much out twice so far. Still more to go. Water super cloudy. Mini-slam time.

Attachments

• 20190325_120424.jpg
    20190325_120424.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190325_120643.jpg
    20190325_120643.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Added 3 bags of salt, two pounds of CYA, tested the Cl (2.5) and adjusted the SWG to 40% from 10%. The warmer weather snuck up as the pool is starting to use Cl again. Water was 60 degrees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with blazer58, though not today but Sunday - unhooked part of the cover as I need to pump some water out of the pool (didn't realize how high the water level had got until it had already frozen over in January). No pumping for me just yet.

IMG_3096.jpg

I'm with blazer58, though not today but Sunday - unhooked part of the cover as I need to pump some water out of the pool (didn't realize how high the water level had got until it had already frozen over in January). No pumping for me just yet.
60's here right now, dropping back to low/mid 30's by late afternoon, calling for rain/snow over the weekend
My level is 6 inches below the tile line, I drained app 12-18 inches below when I closed

At closing the level was 12-18 inches below the tile line. I pumped out a foot in early November, another foot in early December and then was too late to pump again. It's been a very wet winter in NJ - not so much snow, but a lot of rain.

Just about 6 weeks from the beginning of my typical pool opening window. Getting antsy. I haven't looked at the water since January (drained some water during an unseasonable warm weekend), but It was perfectly clear. I have to drain some more.

The onslaught of oak tree leaves has finally subsided. Lasted at least 6 weeks which seems longer than I remember it being. Pneumonia sidelined me for nearly 3 weeks so the Mrs took point. Water looks great.

Catkins are amassing for a monster offensive so we have that to look forward to.

Didn't have to dump the skimmer baskets today at all. Added 1/2 gal bleach. Tossed balls in for the dog.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support