What did you do to your pool today?

Ahhhh!
After doing a bunch of pruning and related yard work after the recent storms, I was due for some R&R.
Since I have shut off my pool cooler,; running the waterfall at night, my temp has come back up to 84 deg, very nice for a little splash time.
Roll on Houston pool season.

Grotefoto-VR6DFJBZ.jpg

Watching my pool water turn into ice. :(

Yikes! Pool freezing in Netherlands already?
Fortunately not. Just a hailstorm, with 1 centimer large hailstones. But it is nearing the end of the season here. This weekend we might have some decent weather, but then it becomes colder again. In september we have average temperatures around 20 deg. C. so I'll break up the pool somewhere next week when we have dry sunny weather.

I finally scraped almost all the parts together for my pool cleaner auto timer station. Hopefully I'll have it all wired up in the next couple days. Just have to get a piece of 1/2" nonmetallic flexible conduit to finish it.
2a5a19418c02618fc1fe0cae2e23e34b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n420sxguy, now you have me interested.
How is it to work?
When you hit the Green button does that run it for a defined time then stop until Green pressed again?
OR
Once you hit Green it runs for a period of time then off for a period for time repeatedly until Red pressed?

Do you have a schematic?
Looks like a great piece of DIY that some other folk might benefit from.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
n420sxguy, now you have me interested.
How is it to work?
When you hit the Green button does that run it for a defined time then stop until Green pressed again?
OR
Once you hit Green it runs for a period of time then off for a period for time repeatedly until Red pressed?

Do you have a schematic?
Looks like a great piece of DIY that some other folk might benefit from.

It was built on the cheap. All from eBay and lowes. The reason there are two timers is it was $8 for a one hour timer and $50+ for anything longer. So I got two one hour timers and daisy chained them together. I drew a schematic last night before I wired it, but accidentally drew it fed off one power source vs two. I'll try to draw another one as soon as I see if it works as it should. Basically, the black contractor is just a switch for the booster pump. All the other **** just controls that switch. Power for the control side will be fed from my main pump timer so it will only be able to operate if the main pump is powered on. Power will come in to one side of the contractor, and also connect to one side of the relays. The other line will go through the stop button, through the start button and also to the common line on the timers. The common will always be hot when the main pump is running, so when you push the green button the timer will close a set of normally open contacts sending power to the coil on the second relay so it also closes a set of contacts, and from there it goes to the coil on the contractor. In theory, the first timer will time out at one hour, then the second timer will begin to count down for an additional hour. Worst case, they both time out at an hour because the second one ignores the input voltage once the timer is started, and I'll have the start of a Rube Goldberg machine. My electrician at work thought daisy chaining the timers would work, and I'm hopeful. We'll see.

Ended up getting around to drilling the 8 holes in the concrete to screw down the Heat Pump. The rest of the day I will spend trying to regain feeling in my hands. :)

It was built on the cheap. All from eBay and lowes. The reason there are two timers is it was $8 for a one hour timer and $50+ for anything longer. So I got two one hour timers and daisy chained them together. I drew a schematic last night before I wired it, but accidentally drew it fed off one power source vs two. I'll try to draw another one as soon as I see if it works as it should. Basically, the black contractor is just a switch for the booster pump. All the other **** just controls that switch. Power for the control side will be fed from my main pump timer so it will only be able to operate if the main pump is powered on. Power will come in to one side of the contractor, and also connect to one side of the relays. The other line will go through the stop button, through the start button and also to the common line on the timers. The common will always be hot when the main pump is running, so when you push the green button the timer will close a set of normally open contacts sending power to the coil on the second relay so it also closes a set of contacts, and from there it goes to the coil on the contractor. In theory, the first timer will time out at one hour, then the second timer will begin to count down for an additional hour. Worst case, they both time out at an hour because the second one ignores the input voltage once the timer is started, and I'll have the start of a Rube Goldberg machine. My electrician at work thought daisy chaining the timers would work, and I'm hopeful. We'll see.

How many sets of contacts do the timers have? Don't forget you need to seal around the start button.

How many sets of contacts do the timers have? Don't forget you need to seal around the start button.

SPDT. The start stop buttons are Allen Bradley. They are rated for nema 4X environments, and are be last thing that will mess up in that box. First test was a fail. My cheap Chinese timers have a problem. Either the no and nc contacts are switched on one, or one is an on delay instead of an off delay. I'm gonna have to do some bench testing to see how the stupid things even work, then try to go from there. At least the box is mounted and 98% wired.

Sorry, I meant electrically seal not moisture. You normally need to use one of the NO contacts from the timer to jump around the start button contacts. Otherwise the timers won't stay running. At least that's the way most timers work. But in the case of OFF timers I'm not sure.

what is that part number? st3pf??

Sorry, I meant electrically seal not moisture. You normally need to use one of the NO contacts from the timer to jump around the start button contacts. Otherwise the timers won't stay running. At least that's the way most timers work. But in the case of OFF timers I'm not sure.

what is that part number? st3pf??

Oh. I think I did the start stop buttons right, but somewhere between not doing this for the last almost 6 years, and the timers being different, I'm getting frustrated. I may just take the time function out of it and use the buttons to start and stop it. It would still shut off with the main pump, which was my original concern anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support