What did you do to your pool today?

Pool temp rose to 90 degrees yesterday.
We were on vacation in the Tetons where the highs were in the mid- to upper-60s - beautiful! Came home to temps well over 100°. I shut the chiller off while out of town and water temp was up to 89° when we got back last night. Ran the cleaner to pick up some leaves, emptied the skimmer baskets, added MA and got the chiller going again this morning. Given how high the temp is, along with higher than average humidity, I don’t know how long it will take to get water temp back down to low 80s. I jumped in after mowing the lawn this morning and while it was better than nothing, 89° water just isn’t refreshing.

On the upside, it sure is nice to have a SWCG and not have to worry about chlorine while away!

We were on vacation in the Tetons where the highs were in the mid- to upper-60s - beautiful! Came home to temps well over 100°. I shut the chiller off while out of town and water temp was up to 89° when we got back last night. Ran the cleaner to pick up some leaves, emptied the skimmer baskets, added MA and got the chiller going again this morning. Given how high the temp is, along with higher than average humidity, I don’t know how long it will take to get water temp back down to low 80s. I jumped in after mowing the lawn this morning and while it was better than nothing, 89° water just isn’t refreshing.

On the upside, it sure is nice to have a SWCG and not have to worry about chlorine while away!
I like it around 85 degrees- refreshing but not too cold!

Reactions: jark87
Our humidity has dropped significantly - down to below 40% - so the chiller is working like a charm! Water temp was 81° this morning and has maxed at 84° on a 100° day. Perfect! Spent the day doing absolutely nothing but hanging at the pool. A large fan and 11’ umbrella are pretty comfortable, and when I get hot, a quick dive and I’m all mellow again. In this heat, I’d be indoors-bound without a pool!

Finally replaced the ball valve for the waterfall with a diverter valve and added the actuator. Then, cut the autofill line, added a flow meter and a orbit sprinkler valve which I connected to a new transformer connected to a relay and a feature circuit so I can limit the damage if my valve gets stuck again. Then after 3 hours in the triple digit heat, I dove in, brushed the walls and added some Calcium chloride. felt good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed the water level was a little low this morning while testing, so I threw the hose in with a timer. Added maybe 3/4-1 inch of water.

Tonight, it finally rained! Added another inch and a half I think!

I guess topping off the pool water is sort of like washing your car... Will be doing a full test in the morning.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I tried (unsuccessfully) to keep my 4 young kids from peeing in the water. And tested the FC twice to make sure my SWG% is stable before I jack it up for the 4th.

• Haha
Reactions: Ahultin
I tried (unsuccessfully) to keep my 4 young kids from peeing in the water. And tested the FC twice to make sure my SWG% is stable before I jack it up for the 4th.
Lol 😆 all you can do is make everyone go pee before & make mandatory pee breaks during (when replenishing sunscreen is a good time).
Also we allowed them to pee somewhere in the yard (which seemed very fun to my son). + Your neighbors will love it.
It will pass & they won’t stay little for long! Stay strong 😊

Reactions: Ahultin
We're talking about peeing!? I got stories!!

Pee pot!! I put a cheap clay pot in a discreet part of my yard and filled it with sand. My boys and their friends LOVE it (weirdos). So much so the girls get in on the action, too. Not quite sure how they manage it, but they don't like getting left out of anything the boys are doing. I don't know that it solves for every "incident," but I know it does for most.

Last 4th, there was a group that got in around four and never got out until it was dark. I'm talkin' adults!! Others were handing them drinks the whole time!! That math is pretty easy to do. So, no, they don't grow out of it. My pool was so cloudy that night and next day. I had never seen it like that. Luckily, I had goosed the FC before the party and it was chlorine to the rescue the next day. This year I'll raise the FC even higher.

There are only two types of people. Those that pee in your pool, and those that lie about it.

Last edited:
We're talking about peeing!? I got stories!!

Pee pot!! I put a cheap clay pot in a discreet part of my yard and filled it with sand. My boys and their friends LOVE it (weirdos). So much so the girls get in on the action, too. Not quite sure how they manage it, but they don't like getting left out of anything the boys are doing. I don't know that it solves for every "incident," but I know it does for most.

Last 4th, there was a group that got in around four and never got out until it was dark. I'm talkin' adults!! Others were handing them drinks the whole time!! That math is pretty easy do to. So, no, they don't grow out of it. My pool was so cloudy that night and next day. I had never seen it like that. Luckily, I had goosed the FC before the party and it was chlorine to the rescue the next day. This year I'll raise the FC even higher.

There are only two types of people. Those that pee in your pool, and those that lie about it.
This post made me go flip my SWG to "Super Chlorinate" mode.

I encourage kids to go pee in the corner of the outdoor shower- just aim for the back corner so it goes to the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support