Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
this is my 5th year with this pool and using TFP. I've never had a day of anything but sparkling clear water. Today, the pool is a little cloudy. Now, you can still see the drain, and the screws on it. I can see everything perfectly clear, but there is a cloudiness if that makes sense. We have needed to backwash more frequently than ever this year, I think we've backwashed 4-5 times already and we've been open not quite 1 month. could something be wrong with my filter? I did post about weird gauge readings a couple weeks ago.
My test results today are FC 3, pH 7.8. my CYA is around 70, my salt is good because my SWG is working.

If we rule out a chemical issue, like something new added for example, then often times it's stress related to excessive organic material in the water. There are cases where the filter itself needs some help, like a cleaning or good deep clean of the sand. Sometimes it's due to excessive CCs that have not be oxidized due to having the pool covered or excessive cloud cover. In other cases it's a warning sign the FC is low. Your FC seems a to be on that edge. Increasing the FC a little might help to resolve it. I'd take the FC up to 5-6 for today. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be safe.

Well now that you mention it this is the liquid chlorine I have and I can’t find it on the pool math app. I’ve used more liquid chlorine than normal this year.

Attachments

• 1F869587-08A9-42F1-9C76-86C76CC3DBBE.jpeg
    1F869587-08A9-42F1-9C76-86C76CC3DBBE.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DA40E436-CB06-48EF-86A9-36841CEAF33D.jpeg
    DA40E436-CB06-48EF-86A9-36841CEAF33D.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 15
Hey Emily !!! Everyone got overrun with pollen this year. It’s probably winding down by you now but it takes a good amount of time to filter out. Mine was cloudy for 2-3 weeks after the pollen stopped with a honking filter running 24/7.

Pass your OCLT and worry less while the filter takes it’s time to do its thing. You can also add some DE to the skimmers to help speed it along but keep an eye on the pressure because it will go up quick needing a cleaning. (Also probing how good it worked). Read up on the details tho cuz I’ve never dealt with sand or DE, I know you *can* but I’m no expert on the *how to*. 😁

Also, with the summer solstice upon us soon, the season is almost in full swing with the longer days and higher sun angle. Keep tabs on your FV production so you don’t fall behind and get new problems.

Also, What stick out to me in your post was the conflicting sights. You can see the cloud but it’s still clear enough to see the drain screws. That was always pollen for me and after a few seasons I just knew by looking at it.

Also, What stick out to me in your post was the conflicting sights. You can see the cloud but it’s still clear enough to see the drain screws. That was always pollen for me and after a few seasons I just knew by looking at it.
Ohhh, this is good to know. we did have a ton of pollen this year, more than normal. we have a large 100 year old oak tree that hangs over the pool. but it's been there every year and my pool has never been cloudy, you think maybe the extra pollen this year?

you think maybe the extra pollen this year?
It very well could be. Prove it with an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Again, when I had pollen issues it was kinda funny because the pool was cloudy but the visibility was still amazing. So I could see the pollen perfectly. Along with the screws. Lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.