What are latest recommendations for new pool as far as chlorination method, filter, etc.

Jan 2, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
I haven't had a pool in a few years, but new house and looking to have a pool put in. I am meeting with a pool builder in a few weeks and trying to get ideas and questions ready.

I am in the Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area, so extremely alkaline water with high evaporation rate leads to CH reaching over 1000 within a season after refill. So usually I just drained and refilled the pool in the March time frame. It was only 7000 cu ft so water cost was $10 to refill.

What I had before was a salt water system, which I liked, but it kept the pH driving up which meant a lot of acid going to the pool even using boric acid. Also, since I refilled each year adding the salt was the major cost and labor for me. I know that most of the pool people here discourage salt water system. I think I see the tablets mostly.

So based on that is there a recommendation for chlorination system that might not drive the pH up so much?

Also where I am at has windy spells where sand will get in the pool, so what type of vacuum or robot should I look at?

Check what your current water costs are. I suspect they are much higher.
Will the home have a whole house water softener installed?

Check what your current water costs are. I suspect they are much higher.
Will the home have a whole house water softener installed?
I haven't received my first water bill yet, so don't know the rate yet. I have heard that the water in Rancho Mirage is more expensive than Palm Springs, so I am curious to see how much it will be.

I am in the process of getting a whole water softener Currently at the calling vendors stage.

In regards to chlorination, I wouldn’t own a pool without a SWCG. I also struggled with pH rise for years, but then someone on this forum recommended lowering my TA from 70 to 50 or 60. It worked! My pH still rises, but not nearly as rapidly as it used to.

I’m sure many others will weigh in on your other questions. Good luck on your pool decision!

pH rise is not due to using a SWCG. Fill water TA and high evaporation rates drive the pH. So acid use is a necessary evil here in the southwest desert.

Using a SWCG and VS pump with softened water for make up water is what I do.

In regards to chlorination, I wouldn’t own a pool without a SWCG. I also struggled with pH rise for years, but then someone on this forum recommended lowering my TA from 70 to 50 or 60. It worked! My pH still rises, but not nearly as rapidly as it used to.

I’m sure many others will weigh in on your other questions. Good luck on your pool decision!
I did follow the TFP method, and lowered the TA to 50 and also used boric acid but still having to add 3 cups acid a couple of times a week when salt cell was active. In the winter the pool was in the shade and salt cell was turned almost off. Then I supplement with liquid bleach and pH did not go up as quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.