West Michigan first quote to look over

ivparker

Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2016
Byron Center, MI
So we got our first quote. Just wanted to see if we are missing anything. Couple of issues with this builder but seems like a lot of our builders may be the same from talking to some on the phone but they don't fix our sprinkling or even cap it, they don't really do anything landscaping wise other then grading, they don't really design our yard either. They all say we need a landscaper to do that. Well we are still looking. Also, he didn't know what a pool bubbler was although he did find out and priced it out. He also has never heard of an autofill feature. He also didnt think automation was necessary so my husband just wanted to cut it out for now as it seems like something we can add in the future. Also they want 25% down. Seems kind of high to me. THey also have so many items in their contract that protects them which I can understand but one is that customer is responsible to mark location of pool and grade height. Before seeing that in the agreement, I asked him about making sure it is at the right level and he said that was his job to do. So not sure if its just in there so if they make a mistake they don't have to fix it but they will make sure its level. We have an existing patio that we would like to keep. Anyway,

Here is our quote. Let me know what you think. THanks!

Pool size: 16’x36’x26’
Drains: 2 Main Drains
Steps: See Sundeck Pump: See Pump Upgrade
Shape: True L
Skimmer: 1 Skimmer
Vinyl style: Choice of Pattern
Filter: 24” Cristal-Flo II Sand Filter
Corners: 6” Radius
Returns: 2 Returns
Vinyl mil: Choice of Mil
Cover: Heavy Winter Cover
Concrete apron: x 3’ on each side of pool and 6’ on each end Other__________________________________

The Pool comes with a steel pool kit with a lifetime warranty and a troweled vermiculite pool bottom. Also included are starting chemicals, a deluxe vacuum head, a deluxe pole, a deluxe hose, a deluxe skimmer, a deluxe brush, a test kit, a thermometer, (2) Liquid solar and heavy winter covers, the first year’s pool close, and the following items: Pool Salt

Additional Options
(Not included in base price)
Sun Deck W/ Corner Steps Vinyl Lined W/ Sure Step
Cantilever Coping
Pentair Intellichlor IC60 Salt System
Pentair MasterTemp Low Nox 300K BTU Heater
Intellipro Pump Upgrade
Includes 2” Plumbing, Extra Returns, and an Extra Skimmer$0
ColorVision Bubbler W /Plumbing
MagicFalls Waterfall W/ Plumbing
GloBrite (2) LED Light W/ Controller
Mesh Safety Cover
[Additional Item] $[Price]
[Additional Item]$[Price]

NOTES: Extra Fees Can/Will Include the electrician, gas hook-up, sand brought in, fencing, permits, dewatering, water mitigation ($1900, burying a sump line that connects to your pool pump), and haul away more than two miles. Thanks.

The one thing that stands-out to me is the number of returns - only 2? If there is one thing that many pools lack it's decent water movement back to the skimmer. Only 2 returns seems a bit weak to me, especially with an L-shape pool. Seems like a lot of potential for stagnant water in some areas. I'd ask about increasing that to at least 4 if possible. Should be minimal (PVC) cost. Speaking of water movement, pay close attention to where they plan on installing the skimmer in relation to your pool placement. Take into account how the wind normally blows across your backyard to see if the skimmer will be in a place where surface debris goes towards it, or away from it. Even 4 return jets can't fight a good/steady wind blowing leaves in the opposite direction. So I'd make that a topic of discussion.

Also check to see if they have any filter upgrade options. I question if a 24" filter is big enough for your size pool. It may work, but you may have to backwash more often that if you had a larger one - say 36 inch.

The one thing that stands-out to me is the number of returns - only 2? If there is one thing that many pools lack it's decent water movement back to the skimmer. Only 2 returns seems a bit weak to me, especially with an L-shape pool. Seems like a lot of potential for stagnant water in some areas. I'd ask about increasing that to at least 4 if possible. Should be minimal (PVC) cost. Speaking of water movement, pay close attention to where they plan on installing the skimmer in relation to your pool placement. Take into account how the wind normally blows across your backyard to see if the skimmer will be in a place where surface debris goes towards it, or away from it. Even 4 return jets can't fight a good/steady wind blowing leaves in the opposite direction. So I'd make that a topic of discussion.

Also check to see if they have any filter upgrade options. I question if a 24" filter is big enough for your size pool. It may work, but you may have to backwash more often that if you had a larger one - say 36 inch.

Ok thanks. More returns. Honestly, I get returns, skimmers and jets all mixed up. I knew one of those items I was going to need more of. We did mention to the pb about the wind and flow of water and he agreed. But I know we will have to keep an eye on where they want to put it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.