Pool Build - Arlington, TX

Jun 14, 2017
Arlington, TX
Meeting with a pool builder on Friday to discuss having a Viking pool put in, the company seems to be well rated, and does use 3/8 gravel for backshell. We're looking at a 16x37 footer.

What questions should I have prepared?

Thanks for your help!

I've decided to return this thread into a build thread.

I'm going to add pictures as we go, as well as put entries down for equipment as it goes.

Tentative Equipment - 7/22/19
Pool: Viking Gulf Shore Fiberglass - 15K gallons
Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS 1.65 HP Variable-Speed Pool Pump
Filter:
SWG:
Chiller:
Returns: 4
Skimmers: 2

Last edited:
Questions:
- Type of chlorination? Manually adding liquid chlorine or salt water generator? If SWG, ask about one rated 2x the size for your pool
- Type of filter and size
- Pump(s) type & size (HP, etc)
- Confirm decking type & size; probably sub-contracted out, but check. Determine how much decking you want for fun and lounging and can afford.
- Ask about possible additional return stub-out even if you have no immeidate plans for a fountain or something.

Gather as much info as you can and post back with a list and we'll help you more. Congrats! :swim:

Thank you! I've started a list of items inquire about.

Right now, I'm thinking the following:

- Viking pool, debating between Cancun/Carribean/Gulf Shore/Gulf Coast/Mediterranean
- Hot tub (depending on cost)
- Pentair Intelliflo pump (2-3HP)
- System 3 DE filter
- Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
- 2 bubblers
- 2 Skimmers
- Side port for suction (automatic vacuum)
- Sacrificial zinc Anode
- Stubs for slide, water feature, hot tub
- sleeves in decking for umbrellas
- Size of equipment pad to be poured. I want to have sufficient room for adding things like additional pump(s), heaters, etc

I wanted to get input on what type of plumbing should be run, I believe that the builder I'm talking to uses flexible PVC, which I've read can be more susceptible to being gnawed on by ants/termites, etc.

Once we get the pool determined, I was going to draw an outline of it, then mess around with decking forms, placement of planter areas, maybe concrete benches, etc.

Again, thanks for your help!

-Get PVC...no flexible pipes wanted!
-Skip the vac line (pressure or suction) and get a robot instead. All it needs is an outlet near the pool. Robots do a far, far better job with much less electricity and no additional pump requirements.
-Ask if there will be a Main Drain or not?
-Go SWG... You'll *love* the convenience!
-Get a large spacious equipment pad to allow for future work, changes, additional equipment..

Maddie :flower: <--loves our fiberglass pool

Thank you, I've been in contact with the PB to regarding flex hose, they indicated they did use it for curves, but running rigid wouldn't be a problem.

I had planned on having strategically placed electrical sockets, for times I want to sit by the pool and work with my laptop, or have radios.

What size equipment pad would you recommend? I was thinking 4x8, about 20-25 feet from the the pool.

We have a our meeting tomorrow, and afterwards, I'll post what is part of what I'm assuming will be a build inventory/proposal for additional input.

I haven't gotten full equipment details yet, but the PB is indicating they are a Hayward reseller, but he was going to go to his VP to see about using Pentair equipment. He kept stressing that Hayward was just as good as Pentair.

What he indicated:

Hayward 1.5 HP Variable speed pump
Cartridge Filter
Saltwater system

Would love input on Hayward pumps/SCG equipment

In our discussion:

- He wasn't aware of sacrificial anodes
- He felt a main drain wasn't necessary.
- The pool comes with two returns, but adding additional shouldn't be a problem.
- Indicated their large pad was 3x8 equipment pad, which I figure is adequate
- Said they installed a "sump crock"

I've read the about strapping the plumbing to the shell, so would like to get opinions on that.

What sucks is that this builder is pretty popular apparently, and we're on the schedule for... late November :( He indicated from start to finish about 14 days

Guess that gives us plenty of time to knock the aboveground down, get the existing irrigation pulled, etc. We also have to bring one of our trees down, there just isn't room to bring the pool in, and I don't want to rent a 200 ton crane at the cost of 6500.

Would also appreciate ANY advice!

Model numbers are a must have. There are so many different ones that a general name is not enough.

Main drains are not a MUST have. Some see it just as another hole that could cause leaks down the road. A main drain does help mix the water up for temperature mixing and chemical mixing.

It sounds as if their pads are the plastic pads instead of poured concrete. Are you getting a heater or chiller? If so that pad will not be big enough.

Do you have a high water table? That is when a sump crock is really needed. I think they are needed for a FG pool to help if you ever need to lower the water.

Kim:kim:

Kim -
Absolutely agree on the model numbers, and I've asked for details.

Should I ask for a main drain, or maybe add a couple of returns? To give some background, I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, my back yard is about 1/2 acre, with about 30 oak trees. Ask you can imagine, we do have a fair moderate amount of dust/leaves/bugs that get into our current AG. My desire is to get an oversized pump to turn the water over faster, best filter (I'm trying to balance between ease of maintenance for filter, and best method of keeping the pool clean) and to get a robot (like a Dolphin) to assist in cleaning.

Thanks for the info on the pad, I definitely don't want one of the plastic pads, I was thinking about doing a 4x8 or 4x10 pour concrete. We may heat pool eventually, but it would be something we would have to add along with a propane tank, as I don't really relish the idea of doing electric heat.

Fortunately, we have a really low water table, the pool will be at the "top" of our backyard, as we have a gentle slope towards our porch.

Questions

I sent the property survey to the PB, he took measurement from the edge of the property lines to where we want the pool. He said he was going to take that to designers, who would provide me with the layout.

What do I expect next? I'm hoping for some type of plan that I can then take and start marking outlines of how I would like the decking to be poured, and location of various electrical outlets, umbrella sleeves, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My suggestion would be to get more bids. We got just got bids from 7 PB, and they were wildly different for roughly the same pool. Go with your gut and contract with the one you get the best feeling about. Pay attention to their attention to detail. Another plus to getting a lot of bids, is that you get more time to dial in what you're looking for. Take your time and don't rush it. Oh...and spend a ton of time here on this forum. You'll learn a ton. Good luck!

Thank you, we've gotten about 5 bids so far, and the others seemed to charge a premium on the same pool, didn't want to deal with our lot (we have a ton of trees), or we didn't have a good feel for them, and had almost a pushy car salesman vibe.

This seemed to be the best of the bunch so far.

Looks like the pool is 15,000 gallons.

Here's what the outline looks like, big improvement over the Intex we've got. :)

I was thinking of 4 returns, angled towards the skimmers (2).

Reactions: kimkats and Snikwah
I think 4 is plenty for that size pool, personally.

As for the skimmer, take notice of the direction of any prevailing winds you normally get and try to aim it in that direction to help move surface debris along to towards the skimmer.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks everyone, I'm keeping an eye on the winds, as well as sun patterns. ANOTHER concern I have is that with our current pool, it does tend to get warm, but with the undersized pump, and the shallow depth (maybe 44" deep), we just heat up fast.

I'm thinking about a chiller for those times of the year it gets really hot (I'm in north Texas), or get a couple of those triangular shade covers.

I've also started reaching out to fencing companies. I'm estimating about 160 linear feet of fencing around just the pool. We do have a normal chain link around our side/rear property line,. and connected near our back porch.

I'm going to start posting pictures to get thoughts.

The chillers are said to work good. Some people also use a "fountain" at night that helps cool the water off. Look in Maddie's siggy for her link to what her hubby made for this reason.

Add that to the shade sails and you may have a winner!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.