Pool Build - Arlington, TX

Ok, here are some quick shots from the roof of our porch.

As you can see, there is our Intex that we will be replacing. You can see the orange "corner marks for three of the corners, indicating where the new pool is going to go in. In one of the pictures you can see our shed, and we plan on placing the pump equipment against the side, behind some wood panels to hide it, and protect it from the dogs, who like chewing on new things.

I'm wondering if I should shift the pool away from the shed a bit, to gain spacing for pool deck/fencing, and to ensure I can get my riding mower through.

Attachments

• 20190721_143339.png
    20190721_143339.png
    912 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190721_143407.png
    20190721_143407.png
    900.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190721_143400.png
    20190721_143400.png
    870.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190721_143403.png
    20190721_143403.png
    899.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20190721_143356.png
    20190721_143356.png
    909.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Trees and lots of trees! But oh so pretty!

Me? I would pour the deck all the way to the equipment pad aka to the shed. NO worries about having to mow that whole area. You will want something leading to the pad such as a walkway anyway.

Are you planning on fencing in the around the pool? I see the what looks like a fence along the back.

Kim:kim:

The fencing is one thing we're debating about, currently, we have chain link on the front on either side of the house (roughly 45 on each), on the left side (looking at house), we have chain link (about 110'), on the back it's wood fence, (neighbor's) and on the right side it's wood (neighbor's) with the exception of about 28 feet which is chain link. I need to draw up a diagram. I've reached out to about 4 fencing contractors to see what I can find out.

We were thinking initially about just doing wrought iron or vinyl around pool (concerned about rust on iron, though), then thought maybe just replace the chain link on sides with wood, and have some wrought iron on the two front.

It's definitely an economic consideration, I'd prefer a fence around just the pool, for safety's sake, especially considering our neighbors have little ones. I plan on padlocking the chain link gates (if we keep them), and putting in a keyed lock for the fence directly around the pool.

That's a great though about pouring the deck to the shed. Would there be any concerns about not being able to reach the plumbing in the event of leaks/breaks? I was trying to avoid putting the plumbing into concrete, as I had read on other build threads that is generally frowned upon.

I went out today, and checked out the pool, and it was very comfortable, even being in full sun most of the day. I think I'm going to set space/electrical aside for a chiller, and then see how the rest of it goes. As I'm sure everyone has been experiencing the past week or two, the heat down here has been brutal, with 96+ days.

One other thing I wanted to ask you guys as I was researching. The PB is agreeable to rigid PVC, I'm going to stress I don't want anything to be heat bent, however, I also read where some people use zip ties, or some other type of strapping to hang their plumbing from the edge of the shell, to reduce stress on the connections if the back fill settles. Thoughts?

Good catch! Okay so I see a WIDE sidewalk/path/piece of concrete running up to the equipment pad. You can leave a fairly large area for the pipes to go down into. You can put river rock on top of GOOD weed stop in that area. Once we get you design for the pool and decking we can dial in the equipment area.

Fencing-what does your code say about it? Find that out first and we will go from there.

Kim:kim:

Here's what I dug out of the city code:

Section 9.02 Enclosure of Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs A. The following are required to comply with the most current edition of the Pool Yard Enclosure Requirements, Texas Health and Safety Code: 1. A pool owned, controlled, or maintained by the owner of a multi-unit rental complex or by a property owners association; and 2. Doors and windows of rental dwellings opening into the pool of a multi-unit rental complex or condominium, cooperative, or a townhome project. B. Construction Requirements For Existing Swimming Pools 1. Every outdoor swimming pool, spa and hot tub shall be completely enclosed by a fence or wall at least forty-eight inches (48") above grade measured on the side of the fence or wall which faces away from the swimming pool. 2. Every fence or wall required by this Section shall be constructed so that it contains no openings, holes or gaps, except doors or gates, which will allow the passage of a sphere four inches (4") in diameter. ARTICLE IX - 1 (Amend Ord 96-93, 7/2/96) CONSTRUCTION 9.02 3. Every door or gate that forms a part of a fence or wall required by this Section shall be constructed so that it contains no openings, holes or gaps which will allow the passage of a sphere four inches (4") in diameter. 4. A building may be used as part of a fence or wall required by this Section. No door of such building shall open directly into the enclosed area except as herein provided. 5. It is an exception to Subsection (A)(4) that the door: a. Provides the only access into a nonhabitable storage or equipment room or building; or b. Is to a single-family dwelling and is in compliance with Subsection (B). C. Self-closing and Self-latching Devices on Existing Swimming Pools 1. All gates or doors opening into the enclosed area shall be equipped with a self-closing and selflatching device for keeping the gate or door securely closed at all times when not in actual use. 2. The application of this subsection shall not include sliding glass doors. 3. It is an exception to this subsection that the door or gate provides the only access into a nonhabitable storage or equipment room or building. D. Application of Requirements 1. The requirements of Subsections (B) or (C) shall be applicable to all outdoor swimming pools, spas and hot tubs constructed or installed prior to the adoption of the 1991 U.B.C. in Article I of this Chapter and which have a depth capacity of eighteen inches (18") or more of fluid at any point, whether actually containing a fluid or empty. 2. Outdoor swimming pools, spas and hot tubs, whose construction or installation was completed prior ARTICLE IX - 2 (Amend Ord 96-93, 7/2/96) CONSTRUCTION 9.02 to May 1, 1990, and which are located at occupancies other than hotels, motels, lodges and apartment houses, shall not be subject to the provisions of this ordinance requiring doors to a building that forms part of an enclosure to be equipped with self-closing and self-latching devices. E. Modifications The Building Code Board of Appeals may make modifications in individual cases, upon a showing of good cause, with respect to the height, nature of location of the fence, wall, gates or latches, or the necessity therefor, provided the protection as sought hereunder or by Appendix G of the 2000 I.R.C. is not reduced thereby. Said Board may permit other protection devices or structures to be used so long as the degree of protection afforded by the substitute devices or structures is not less than the protection afforded by the substitute fence, gates and latch described herein, or in Appendix G of the 2000 I.R.C. as applicable. (Amend Ord 02-020, 2/5/02) F. Definition The terms "swimming pool", "spa" and "hot tub" as used herein, shall mean an artificial or semi-artificial receptacle or container designed to contain fluid, whether actually containing a fluid or not, which is either temporarily or permanently located outdoors, and is used or intended to be used for public, semi-public or private human use involving submersion of all or part of the body, whether or not a fee is paid for such use. Such use may include, but is not limited to, swimming, wading, soaking, floating or recreational bathing by any number of persons. These terms do not apply to a receptacle or container that is located outdoors and is not used or intended to be used for public, semi-public or private human use involving submersion of all or part of the body, such as fountains and reflections pools. G. Offense 1. It is an offense if a person owns, occupies, maintains or is in charge of premises that are in violation of this Section. ARTICLE IX - 3 (Amend Ord 02-020, 2/5/02) CONSTRUCTION 9.02 2. There shall be no requirement of a culpable mental state for a violation of this Section or Appendix G, 2000 I.R.C. (Amend Ord 02-020, 2/5/02) ARTICLE IX - 4 (Amend Ord 02-020, 2/5/02) CONSTRU

I was going to follow up with city just to be safe, as the PB seemed to think chain link would be fine, as long as it had self-closing gates. In my perusal and discussion with various pool owners in the area, they either have a wood fence, or have a separate pool fence, in addition to the chain link.

I'm hoping to get details from designers this week.

Last edited:
Get a prologic bundle with a t15 cell they cal it aquaplus now. No need to worry about the strapping of pipes. They can ne laid right on the pea gravel base or higher up in the backfill. I would insist the whole backfill be small stone its the only way to have good compaction with a fiberglass pool. Your bond beam on top sits on the backfill and so will your deck. No way to mechanically compact against the pool walls

Yup that's the bundle it's a good deal that way and you get automation to expand on. No need for timers and a VS hayward pump like a tristar is perfect and will rin right off that box. You can control valves relays solar anything you want all automated. I have that setup in my personal pool it's great for the money and the cell is way oversized that's what you want. It was a while ago but I found it online for 1099 my local supply house couldn't touch the price

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On a separate topic, I've started getting bids on fencing around the pool. I gave a rough estimate of 160 linear feet, with one gate. Wrought iron or aluminum,

1st bid
4545 - primed/painted matte black wrought iron, set 2x2 posts into concrete, 1" rails, 1/2" pickets @ 4"O.C>, 4' tall iron panels, 4' gate with self closing spring, magnalatch locking system.
7150 - 4' smooth rail aluminium fence (Independence universal top 2-rail design)

2nd bid
Indicated that they powder coat their fencing, which from what I've been reading, might not be desired, due to the difficulty when needing to repaint.

I'd love to get input into what fencing options people have selected, especially given they have saltwater pools.

That post is from someone who hates saltwater pools. The same can be said about chlorine pools. Cya is in pucks so either way that's a wash. Keeping the salt around 3000ppm is the key. I barely add anything to my pool and I barely test my water I'm on autopilot with my setup dialed in.
As far as fence I see many aluminum fences with powder coat around salt pools and many are 10yrs old or better and look like new. I wouldnt go with iron they need tons of maintenence. Vinyl is the easiest and they have some nice colors now and wood look stuff they is really nice looking

OK, we're now looking at going with a rectangle pool to get more swimming area.

16x40, 19000 gallons

Equipment wise, we've got the following:

Hayward SP3200 - Tristar
Hayward Swimclear 150 - cartridge filter.
I've asked for the T-15 SCG

They seemed reluctant regarding the DE filter, explaining it is more maintenance than the cartridge, although it does filter better.

My 2 cents....if you arent going to use automation like a hayward prologic i wouldnt bother with the color logic. they are notorious for going bad and an LED replacement in a regular pool light is 200 bucks from inyo pools and will save you some money. I would go with a 525sqft swimclear, and I would get the aquaplus bundle with the T15 cell, you get a prologic out of that deal for around 1100-1200 makes life easier. I would also upgrade to the larger tristar the maxflo I dont beleive can be controlled by automation. either way upgrade the filter regardless, see if he will install your purchase on the bundle and credit you for his T9 cell. so much easier with prologic no timers and you can add stuff easily and switch lights, landscape lights, relays, etc with it, worth every penny

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.