We're doing this again! Orlando OB Take 2 -PLASTERED! 6/1

Could you push the bowls forward on the pedestal by a few inches?
It may have been possible, but the niche has 3 pipes, crammed in the small column. The coping would have had to come out, then the gunite shell of the column would have to be chipped out to move it. Would have been a bigger delay, and possibly compromised the column's structural integrity. I possibly could have just told the screen company to redesign and build, but it would have been a delay with how busy these guys are, cost may have been less than the bowls, but for me to have control of the schedule, it was easier to just get new bowls and learn from it.

Inspections passed, called the surface contractor, they will get the pool cleaned out (probably tomorrow), but unlikely that the surface will get done this week, probably will be next week. She was going to check all of their schedules and see if she could get us in, but I am not holding out too much hope. Will touch base with her again tomorrow and see if we catch a break. Either way, it's a huge relief to be through the inspections and be clear to pebble. As long as it's done next week, I should be good for my daughter's party. Plan to test my fill water at some point in the near future.

On another note, I am clear to return to my office starting next week, but, if I don't have water, I'll probably elect to work from home for one more week before going back in. It was a good run. In the 14 months I have been home, we have bought a house, renovated, sold a house, and built a pool.

OK, just got word that my plaster will be next week. A bit of a bummer, but still gives me time to make the party.

Tested my fill water today

CC - 1ppm
PH - 8.2
TA - 180
CH - 200

Not too surprising other than the TA. I am sure that while I battle that new plaster PH rise that issue will resolve itself. Anything jump out at anyone as a concern?

Just finished reading through your build. That tile is beautiful. It looked like the installers did a really good job of randomizing the tile pattern on the large water feature.

Good luck with the plaster!

Reactions: OrlandoBull
Got my inspection for grading today, all is well. The inspector actually said that my grading looks better than most that he sees with pool builders. I worked hard to do the finishing touches on it and raked every bit of disturbed ground last night. I get to do some landscaping this weekend, sod next weekend. Not looking forward to either of those tasks

I also got "the call"... Pebble is getting installed on Tuesday, bright and early! Acid wash and begin filling on Wednesday.

It almost feels weird to be this close to the finish line. Assuming I am filling on Wednesday and nothing crazy happens, I'll be at 82 days from dig to water. My previous build was 79 days. My previous build also had grading issues that held up my final closeout for 2+ months after I had water, it's nice to be over that hurdle on this one.

Wow that's impressive at only 82 days. I'm just shy of eleven months with my PB, and over it at this point. If I had known I would be here and still waiting on my build to be completed I would have done an owner build myself. Especially the amount of time I have spent "managing" my PB.

Glad to hear you are so close! I’ll bet your kids are chomping at the bit trying to get in that pool already. Considering how the pool business is right now, I think 82 days is extremely impressive, especially for an owner build. They are doing my gunite as I type this and we signed with the PB 02/27.

Reactions: OrlandoBull
Got my inspection for grading today, all is well. The inspector actually said that my grading looks better than most that he sees with pool builders. I worked hard to do the finishing touches on it and raked every bit of disturbed ground last night. I get to do some landscaping this weekend, sod next weekend. Not looking forward to either of those tasks

I also got "the call"... Pebble is getting installed on Tuesday, bright and early! Acid wash and begin filling on Wednesday.

It almost feels weird to be this close to the finish line. Assuming I am filling on Wednesday and nothing crazy happens, I'll be at 82 days from dig to water. My previous build was 79 days. My previous build also had grading issues that held up my final closeout for 2+ months after I had water, it's nice to be over that hurdle on this one.
impressive!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You fill water looks good. That will be easy to work with and balance likeyou say.

Make sure you have a good pool brush and ready to use. Read over the plaster start up links I posted way up thread. Print them out and get ready!

This weekend included installing a sound system, trip to the nursery to pick up about 20 plants, and pick up and install 6 yards of mulch. Every time I do the mulch I say that I am not going to do it again, but there I was.

My wife is a saint for single-handely manning the kiddos while I worked, probably 15-20 hours or so in the 3 day weekend. I'm toast, but feeling accomplished.

Sod next weekend and eventually some more plantings, but the heavy lifting diy work is concluding. Will add pics tomorrow as the surface goes on.

Happy Memorial Day everyone, hope everyone is enjoying your pools and remembering those who gave all for our freedoms.

I’m jealous. We dug and had gunite a month before you but here I sit with probably 4-6 weeks to go still. Weather hasn’t helped much either. Patio and decking was scheduled for this week but it’s probably going to get delayed because of rain.

I hear you on the landscaping. I only redid our front flower beds and they took a lot out of me over several days. I have most of my plants already(palms, agave, and ornamental grasses). I was thinking about doing .5-1” pebbles/stones instead of mulch but I’d need 3tons worth. Also doing sod myself. Soon as they rework my irrigation and do final grade I also need to install my Sonance speaker system. Then the landscaping.

I’m jealous. We dug and had gunite a month before you but here I sit with probably 4-6 weeks to go still. Weather hasn’t helped much either. Patio and decking was scheduled for this week but it’s probably going to get delayed because of rain.

I hear you on the landscaping. I only redid our front flower beds and they took a lot out of me over several days. I have most of my plants already(palms, agave, and ornamental grasses). I was thinking about doing .5-1” pebbles/stones instead of mulch but I’d need 3tons worth. Also doing sod myself. Soon as they rework my irrigation and do final grade I also need to install my Sonance speaker system. Then the landscaping.
I am very fortunate with my build, I have had good subs and minimal delays in the grand scheme of things. Hope your build picks up some steam and beats your expectations.

I did the rocks with my front yard landscaping at the previous house, honestly, it is nice to not have to replace them, but, they get dirty and don't look so great after a while, I kind of like the "facelift" of new mulch beds even though it's a pain to replace it every year or so. If I was really disciplined, I always thought the best idea would be to buy like 5 bags of mulch every month and just constantly be working around to different areas so it's not such a big job all at once.

Plaster company showed up promptly at 7:30 this morning, sounds like they may actually do everything they need to do and start filling this afternoon. Any concerns on that? I know the official Wet Edge application includes washing during the install to expose more aggregate, that probably makes the acid wash a minimal task. I have confirmed the mix with them, so all is well there. Have work calls starting at 9, but I'll get back down and check the progress probably right about the time they start spraying.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.