We're doing this again! Orlando OB Take 2 -PLASTERED! 6/1

@OrlandoBull that is a great point, I will call the county. My husband is an engineer but he is not a pool engineer and when I ask him he has no clue because he is construction, not pool.
They are putting gunite right now in my pool. Hopefully they put the water depth as we only did 5ft since it was going to cost another 2 or 3k for another foot, something about slope and shoring since 5ft from house. They did come out prior to today to remove dirt that had gotten into the pool from the rain and storms we had, something to do with having a certain depth for the concrete so I really hope it gives us the full 5ft. Sorry on the delay for dig, once that happens things seem to move fairly fast considering how many people are building pools right now.

Still waiting on my dig, but we're making a little progress in other areas I guess.. Equipment is here, pavers are ordered, tile is selected, plaster mostly selected. I am really hoping for a dig next week.

I have a photo of my grout below, we are planning to do a white (cream) concrete paver coping. The tile guy said we should use the same grout for the coping and the tile since they will touch. That puts us in a very light silver color family in my mind to keep it from sticking out too much on the coping. Does anyone have different color grout on their coping vs tile? My gut tells me that I want to basically match the pavers with the coping grout so that it blends, then do a darker gray on the tile so that the tile pops, not the grout. I am afraid if we go too light on the grout, the grout is going to be too overbearing.

And some pics, though not too exciting.

Before:

20201221_150821.jpg

I had to tear down the original screen enclosure and we had someone remove the old concrete and pavers;

20210116_170845.jpg

Next up is scraping the sod;
20210204_175408.jpg

Then the layout;
20210116_134413.jpg

And, we have finally selected our tile, wife saw a pool with this on on pintrest and locked it in. It's aquabella nightlife series galant.

20210304_090005.jpg

Reactions: Casey
Love the tile and pebble finish combination! Glad to see some progress. Hopefully you’ll be posting dig pics next week!

Tomorrow is Dig Day!
hip hop happy dance GIF

Now, wish me luck that we don't have any issues. I have a wetland next to me, could be wet. They'll manage it, so not that big of a deal, just would rather have a nice dry dig. Very little rain in the forecast for the next week, hoping to get steel done Monday/Tuesday, pre-plumbing Wednesday/Thursday, and gunite next Friday... which means I am probably at least a week behind all of those hopes and dreams, so hopefully Gunite by 3/26. (will need my first inspection in there as well, want to schedule that when I can be out there with the inspector to build up a rapport and hopefully make sure I am keeping him/her happy.

Good Luck!! Your timeline is amazing! Man an owner build in Orlando would so much faster than mine which is through a big builder :-(. I had gunite done on Feb 26th and just waiting for plumbing now. They did come back out and level all the dirt around the pool (can't remember that term) and put the skimmer hole and other holes this week. But I am jealous how quickly yours will go.

Good Luck!! Your timeline is amazing! Man an owner build in Orlando would so much faster than mine which is through a big builder :-(. I had gunite done on Feb 26th and just waiting for plumbing now. They did come back out and level all the dirt around the pool (can't remember that term) and put the skimmer hole and other holes this week. But I am jealous how quickly yours will go.
Don't get jealous yet, only time will tell. I feel like my timeline is reasonable, but I have no idea what to expect.

Reactions: ckinchen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick question; How quickly after gunite can the forms be removed? I am trying to nail down my timeline with my plumber tomorrow for when he will be able to come back and complete the pool plumbing after gunite, but since I am planning to remove the forms myself and do the pre-grading, I am trying to figure out when I can do that (how long it will take me is another question in my mind). I'll ask the gunite guy when I talk to him as well, but I want to give the plumber a decent guess at when I'll be ready for him.

As for progress, steel did not come yesterday, not a huge deal, they will be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I think the plumber can do the spa and any early stuff he needs to do on Wednesday/Thursday. I haven't heard on gunite yet, reached out on Friday and didn't get anything back, hoping they can do next Friday, but not really expecting that, probably will be the following week.

Over the weekend, I have also been in a couple of times, temp is a little warm for my liking! Measured everything, all looks good, will do it again after steel to stay on top of it.

Thanks all!

It looks like sand in the bottom. Did they add it or is that what is there naturally?
It's gravel, they have to add it when they hit groundwater to help keep things dry for the gunite. They have a pump set up as well to keep everything dry. We're forecasting rain on Thursday, no chance I have gunite before then, so I am going to be a nervous wreck.

Steel was complete yesterday, first inspection today. As long as all goes well, the plumber will be here tomorrow or Thursday.

20210315_175417.jpg

Well it's been a stressful couple of weeks waiting on the gunite crew. When I communicated with them right up until I needed them, they were saying that they were 5 days out. So, here we are 2 weeks after steel inspection and the gunite crews are here!

I am hoping things go a bit smoother from here on out, I have pre-grade scheduled for Wednesday, plumber starting next week, tile hopefully the following week. At this point, there's very little point in keeping a timeline, just trying to manage the subs as best as I can with very little commitment from the people in front of them. Fortunately, my plumber/tile guy has been great so far, here's hoping that stays the same once he's at the plate.

Wow 5 days out I don't think is that bad, but I know the feeling of waiting an eternity. One of the pool builds by us had dug the pool, and did the rebar. Then told the homeowner 3 to 4 weeks before they would come back to shoot the gunite. Not sure if that's a scheme to do more money chasing or if it is in fact the high demand right now. This is over in the Tampa/Clearwater area.

Wow 5 days out I don't think is that bad, but I know the feeling of waiting an eternity. One of the pool builds by us had dug the pool, and did the rebar. Then told the homeowner 3 to 4 weeks before they would come back to shoot the gunite. Not sure if that's a scheme to do more money chasing or if it is in fact the high demand right now. This is over in the Tampa/Clearwater area.
Yeah, I definitely understand that. I can't really complain, its just difficult to line up the next guy when you either don't get a response or commitment. Honestly, doing an O/B right now is scary. I had 1 layout/dig/steel contractor reply to me, I really only had 1 gunite guy get back to me, though I was ultimately able to get a second estimate.

I definitely know I am ahead of the game as builders are juggling so many balls that they aren't pushing any schedules. I have heard of people signing contracts with starts in August.

Reactions: RDFBocephus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.