Went away for two days and the pool went green. I think I know what went wrong, I hope..

Test it every day? Is this the normal thing to do for Florida pool life? I am going to maintain as close to 24 as I can until this thing clears up.

When the work week starts what is the best advice? Can check it prior to 8am and then after 5pm.

During the SLAM Process, test and add liquid chlorine back to SLAM level as often as you can. The more often, the quicker it goes. Maybe in the am before work, right when you get home, and just before bed.

For normal maintenance, yes, until you define your normal FC loss, daily testing is advised. Adding liquid chlorine daily is also advised to keep from getting an algae outbreak. You might get to every other day, but that will take more liquid chlorine overall due to greater FC loss at higher FC levels.

CL dropped to 16.5 during my check just now. 137oz liquid added. The organics are eating this stuff up.

The battle continues.

Since my last update my knee collapsed while playing soccer with my son, I am here with a bag of ice on my knee and Uruguay lost during penalty kicks which made me very sad.

The SLAM will persevere though.

Reactions: IceShadow
Leave the light out as in leave the light turned off or leave the assembly out of the pool?

What do I do with the power running to it? I have never seen behind a pool light so do not know what to expect when I unscrew it.

Evening update: CL maintained from before and continues to read at 24+ppm. Pool is no longer green but is a cloudy blue. We are getting there...

Be sure the power is off to the light. And leave the assembly out of the pool. You will not unscrew it. The light is an assembly set in a niche. The niche stays in the pool. There should be enough excess cord to get the light assembly to the deck.

Mid afternoon update: CL has dropped down to 18. So that is a 6 ppm loss from this morning. When SLAMing is this faster than usual CL loss expected? Lost .5 over night, lost 6 since this morning.

On a positive note the water quality is already notably improved. We have backed away from swampy green to a greenish blue now. The shallow end is now clear, the deep end still needs some work. Pump still running and I Just got back from the pool store with another 7.5 gallons of concentrated liquid.

Yup, ever since I started May of last year, I have it all logged in my spreadsheet. I could have just been running on borrowed time though. The cycle usually goes something like I check on a Sunday and bring it up to whatever my current target CL is, so since January 6th of this year that has been 7. I then check it again 4 or so days later. The CL at that point has dropped down to 2 or 3 and then I raise it back up.

M3iUziW.png

That's a snapshot of part of my log. The CL numbers there are what it is when I take the reading and then I add liquid to bring it back up. What I am reading is that this may not be frequent enough, especially during the summer months?

Someone posted something about algae behind the light, I have never checked or cleaned there. I don't know how to take it off, is there something special you need to do so I don't get electrocuted or something? Power and water sounds like a bad combo.
When you were working with a CYA of 50 you should never let it drop below 3. It looks like you spent quite a bit of time at 3 and below. Most folks can get away with adding bleach every other day during summer, but not every 3-4 days. Riding the minimum means it only takes a little dip for algae to take hold. Try testing the pool every day for about 2 weeks once the slam is finished. That should give you a good idea how much chlorine you need on a daily basis, and you should be able to add every other day and still stay at the high end of the target level.

Overnight update, with a picture! The Pool is back to being blue and is fully clear in the shallow part, we still have some work to do in the deep end. CL dropped last night from 24+ to 22.5 this morning. Added another round of liquid and will continue the cycle. Not much more to say for now other than the process is working and I am glad this was caught and corrected quickly. Going to change my behavior for the remainder of the summer as well and check much more frequently and set my CL targets a bit higher.

qbnL7kA.jpg

jy3HjYE.jpg

This video might help video

Yes! That video was exactly what I was wondering about. Perfect, thanks. The pool light has been removed and is now sitting up on the deck for the remainder of this process. So something positive out of this whole experience is I now know how to remove the pool light. That was pretty easy. Now I want to replace it with some fancy color changing something or another.

Noon update: CL dropped to 18.5 Raised it once again to 24 with 100oz of liquid. Pool is clear. Will continue for another day and do an over night test Monday into Tuesday.

Not sure what else to do now other than keep this up. Maybe brush the tile line again?

As soon as the water is crystal clear (see a quarter heads or tails in the deep end) do the OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Evening update. CL down to 15.5 and I jacked it up again one last time. I ran the CC test with the 15.5 sample. After the 3 drops of 0003 it took only one drop of 0871 to clear out the faint pink in the tube so I am reading that as all clear. Pool is also clear and will do the quarter test tomorrow when the filter turns off.

So when jacking up the CL this high is it normal to lose so much so fast? If I put it up to 24 around noon and now it's already down to 15.5, thats faster than say me bringing it up to 9 for normal maintenance and it dropping to 6ppm 24 hours later?

Light is still on the pool deck. Will put it back in tomorrow if the overnight test works out.

Scrubbed inside the hole? The niche is the space in the wall, correct? No, I did not scrub that. What's the best way to do so? The regular pool brush is a bit large. Maybe put it on it's side and if I lean over the edge I can go back a forth a bit?

When do we think all the organics are killed and where else could they be living?

A toilet brush? Something to be sure you have cleaned it out. Get in the pool if necessary.

As far as the organics, you would be amazed. Algae has various strains and can make quite a fight with chlorine. So stay at it.

I fell asleep before the sun went down so didn't get to check it after dark but I did test it at 6:45 this morning, CL dropped but only to 21.5. Brought it up to 24 around my post at: 6:50 when the sun was still out and it was hot out in Florida, so not too bad. Water is now clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end from the farthest part of the shallow end. Will be going to the dollar store at lunch to pick up a toilet brush and will get in there tonight and scrub it. Will do around tile line one more time as well with the big brush.

All of this has decimated my supply of 0871. If I didn't have the large refill I never would have made it this far. Maybe that can be added to the SLAM FAQ, saying you are going to need way more than usual, I know it's obvious now but didn't think I would be going through this much. Order placed this morning (thought TFT Test Kits of course!) for more. Going to need it anyway if I am going to be testing more often this summer.

Lets clear things up. With a 5ml sample each drop is 1ppmFc, with the 10ml sample each drop is .5ppmFC and with the 25ml sample each drop is .2ppmFC. So if 40 drops with the 5ml sample =40ppmFC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.