Welp. It happened - green pool

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
Still new to this. This past week I changed the run times on the filter pump (two speed) bc it had been running all day. Started noticing some discoloration and now the pool is turning green. The TFP app is saying to drain 50% of the pool. I know I can Put a hose in the pool and then run it downhill to the street, but not sure how long it will take to drain at that rate. Is there a quicker way? There appears to be a hose bib on the pipe going from pump to the large filter. Can I just turn the filter pump on and hook a hose up to this bib and pump to the street?

Also, there is some sort of small filter that appear to branch off from the output of the pump, going away from the filter and back to the pool. The small filter looks dirty and is reading 0 pressure. I can’t twist it off (assuming it should come off). Should this come off? If so, how do I get it off?

My numbers were off the charts when I just tested, recommends adding 128 oz of acid and 128 oz of bleach, and 50% drainage.

Attachments

• C4F1E700-1991-44F9-A6F1-FAD1106D1A11.jpeg
    C4F1E700-1991-44F9-A6F1-FAD1106D1A11.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 8254860A-50CE-4C1C-9E1C-61D8BFFA6EBE.jpeg
    8254860A-50CE-4C1C-9E1C-61D8BFFA6EBE.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 23
Put your test results in your PoolMath log where we can see them. The test you have logged now does not show your CYA.

Let's review your situation before you take any action.

Do you have an infloor cleaning system?

Reactions: GMTK and gonfishin
CYA is crazy high. I did the dilute method and it’s still over 100. Best estimate is 180.

Infloor? I have a new Nautilus CC robot cleaner. I recently changed the pool run times as well, thinking that played a part. I checked the main basked before the large filters and cleaned it out last week. I have not cleaned the large filters, was told that was done in June.

Attachments

• 950C0929-BA6D-40A4-8E80-E8D6710F81A0.png
    950C0929-BA6D-40A4-8E80-E8D6710F81A0.png
    510.3 KB · Views: 9
  • EFA9BAF7-2776-405C-9A8C-091CB045E025.png
    EFA9BAF7-2776-405C-9A8C-091CB045E025.png
    510.3 KB · Views: 7
As far as draining the pool, you have a 30k gallon setup, and youre looking to drain 50% from your previous post. I have drained a pool we had before but it was only 10K gallons. I bought a pump from Harbor Freight, costs $80 and pumps 3400 gallons per hour, Ill link it below. Whether it is recommended you drain or not Ill let one of the TFP experts here jump in, as I am very new here. But as far as draining this is what we did.

We thought about using the pool pump to drain but didn't want to damage it.

Reactions: GMTK
If your CYA is around 180 you need to drain 75% of your pool water to get it down to 30-50.

Confirm you chlorinate with liquid chlorine and not a SWG.

You can't use your pool pump for that large of a drain. See the link below for a method to do a water exchange rather then draining your pool.

I chlorinate with liquid chlorine and also have the tabs “Clorox xtra blue 3” long lasting chlorinating tablets”.

Those "blue" tabs contain copper which will accumulate in your water and eventually lead to staining and green hair. You should trash them.

So just don’t put anything in the tune made for them?

Use of trichlor (pucks) for daily maintenance is not sustainable.
Consider adding liquid chlorine daily or installing a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.

You said “I did the dilute method and it’s still over 100. Best estimate is 180”. If you diluted it by half and still got a 100, it’s 200 or higher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Edit: Saw that you have a robot cleaner. This doesn't apply but I will leave the info in case it helps someone else.

This should be *way* down your "to-do list", but here is the procedure to open the small filter that you asked about. It is the filter for a pressure side cleaner.

Release the pressure at the "big" filter. The small filter has tabs on the under side of the clear section. Use a large screw driver put the shaft up against the bottom of the filter so it wedges against the tabs. Use the screw driver to provide the torque needed. It will only open clockwise . If the screwdriver shaft isn't grabbing anything you have it placed incorrectly. It rests against two tabs.

Spray the filter with a hose. The filter on this does not remove, that I'm aware of. Lube the gasket before replacing. It goes on counter clockwise and this should be hand tightened only. Too much and you can crack the clear housing, too little and air can get in causing bubbles and/or loss of pump prime.

Thanks to all for the responses. Come to find out I need to get a permit to drain the pool from my municipality; and I also have to call the water department because we are watering restrictions and we may get fined when we fill the pool back up. We are going to replaster this fall anyway so I might try to maintain the pool as best as possible until that happens. I also met the neighbors pool guy and am going to hire him to help me for a month to get the pool in the best shape possible and he said he would teach me what I need to know. He’s actually a big fan of TFP. I still have a lot of learning to do.

I’ve read a bunch of the articles, some multiple times. I just don’t have the confidence to do it myself at this point.
I know the feeling. I have had several pools, some in-ground, some above ground. The biggest I've ever had was a 22x56 AGP. I remember when I first started with TFP (about a month ago) my pool was a mess. The local pool store wasnt helping but were taking a lot of my money. I posted how I thought testing my own pool and treating was complicated. I couldn't be more wrong. Once I understood the basic concepts (and I'm still learning) things got easier. Also there is a certain freedom in being able to test, diagnose any problems, and treat your pool. Also being able to test your water, post the results here and get help from experts is amazing.
Have your pool guy take over but once things are running well, start testing your own water and slowly take over the care of your pool. Using TFP methodology will have your water looking and feeling better then ever. At least that has been my experience so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.