Jun 23, 2016
Monterrey, Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys.
I’ve been using the trouble free method since day 1. I chlorinate my pool with liquid chlorine and balance PH with muriatic acid

I use fiber clear to aid filtration and pool was as clear as polished.

But...

Last couple of week Pool was cloudy. All tests are as good as it gets so I thought that the filter was not doing it’s job correctly even though filter pressure was ok. So I decided to buy a chemical filter cleaner. GLB filter fresh. I poured the cleaner thru the skimmer while backwashing, let it go to the filter and let it do it’s job for 12 hours.

Pressure did not change but after two days of normal filtration it looks great and clear again.

So I cheated, just wanted to confess. And I’d do it again. :laughblue:

I’ll stay as close as trouble free system as I can but sometimes it needs a bit of help. image.jpg

A shame you didn't open it up for a deep clean. Would love to know if the problem was a bunch of spent fiber clear gumming things up.

That will remain a mystery. My installation is in a dedicated room and the installer didn’t leave removable fittings so I’d have to cut piping to open up the filter. Someday maybe I’ll have to but not in the near future.

From what I know, it shouldn't need to be changed.

But there seem to be some cases of extenuating circumstances.

The TFP member who recently found her filter to be full of a snot like substance comes to mind. Plus my own experience with a used sand filter that stunk of chloramine and which I found filled with fir needles all the way to the bottom (even after backwashing). I could have cleaned the sand, but since it took some serious concentrations of bleach and then over a week sitting out open to stop the plastic filter alone from making me gag any I time I walked by, I'm glad to have changed it out.

Reactions: PuroMexicano
Nice tile job on the pool. You don't see many tiled pools here in the US because it's just so darn expensive.

Filter fiber is ok to use as it's similar to adding DE to a sand filter with one BIG exception - filter fibers is essentially cellulose fibers and they will breakdown over time from chlorine oxidation and hydrolysis. So the cloudiness you saw was probably the filter fiber breaking down and shedding back into your pool. The filter cleaner is nothing more than a detergent (dispersant) that breaks up trapped dirt, suspends it better in water and then you wash it out.

If it's available in Mexico (or you happen to be traveling in the US), use pool grade DE instead of the filter fiber. You'll get the same level fo "polish" to your water without anything breaking down.

Reactions: PuroMexicano
Nice tile job on the pool. You don't see many tiled pools here in the US because it's just so darn expensive.

Filter fiber is ok to use as it's similar to adding DE to a sand filter with one BIG exception - filter fibers is essentially cellulose fibers and they will breakdown over time from chlorine oxidation and hydrolysis. So the cloudiness you saw was probably the filter fiber breaking down and shedding back into your pool. The filter cleaner is nothing more than a detergent (dispersant) that breaks up trapped dirt, suspends it better in water and then you wash it out.

If it's available in Mexico (or you happen to be traveling in the US), use pool grade DE instead of the filter fiber. You'll get the same level fo "polish" to your water without anything breaking down.

Thanks for the explanation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.