Weird SWG behavior

Apr 3, 2018
Portland, OR
I encounter a strange problem with my SWG in pool+spa configuration and Aqua Logic PS8 controller. First, I replaced dead T-cell-15 with a brand new Goldline Turbo, which started working fine in all combinations - pool only, spa only, and pool - spa spillover. I set 25% chlorination for pool, 3% for spa (it is much smaller) to keep chlorine at 1-2 ppm with salt level 3300 ppm. All above combinations run fine for extensive period in cleaning mode with water temps 65-75 F (with or without heater). Then I decided to try spa at 104 F, obviously in "spa only" mode. After a while I ended up with "high amp/high salt" and chlorinator off. Tested salt - still 3300 ppm. The cell was not the problem - it is a brand new cell. Looking for resolution I found the tread in this forum

Aqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/Amps

where the problem was attributed to broken/weak solder point on the K1 relay on the Aqua Logic board, which was surprisingly common issue. I found this solder point following excellent instructions, re-soldered the point and replaced the 20A fuse with 15A. Everything was working again. However, I got the same "high amp/high salt" error and chlorinator off as soon as I tried "spa only" at 104 F. I pulled out the board - solder point was OK and fuse was not blown. I assembled the controller back and turned to "pool only" (water at 75 F) and everything works fine - salt 3300 ppm, about 6.5A. I switched to spa only (water was still 104 F), cell started working but in about 10-15 sec chlorination was off with the same error. I switched to "pool only" and in about 1 min chlorination was on, salt 3300 and 6.5A and everything was running fine. I switched back to spa only (water still at 103 F) and immediately turned to the diagnostics mode. Salt started at 3400 ppm, current at 7.4A, then 3500, 3600, 3700, 3800 and after about 10 sec cell was turned off with the same message.

So apparently the reason for high salt/high amp is high temp of the water in spa. To test this, I switched to "pool - spa spillover" to bring water temp in the spa down by returning colder pool water to the spa. I tested "spa only" when the water temp dropped to 81 F - everything worked fine now, salt 3400 ppm and current is about 7.8 A.

Does this mean spa is not supposed to be chlorinated with hot water? I do not recall the manual says anything of that sort. This leaves me with only option to clean and sanitize pool and spa in the spillover configuration and use the spa without chlorination, but this means I have to reheat spa every time. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?
Aqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/AmpsAqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/AmpsAqua Logic Salt Too High - Cholrinator Off High Salt/Amps

High salt goes by amps. If the amps hit 8.0, the system shuts down. The amps depend on the salinity and the water temperature.

At temps above about 90, normal salinity can result in the amperage going above 8.0.

The cell will work at salinity down to 2400 ppm. It will give a low salt warning at 2,700 pm, but it will work.

To use the cell at temps above 90, you have to use a lower salinity than normal.

Try 2,800 ppm. That will lower the amps but will not give a low salt warning.

You can go below 2,700 and just ignore the low salt warning if necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.