Weird staining all over deep end of pool, been ongoing and changing

Ryanrichard25

Feb 9, 2020
South Florida
Salt water pool, only about 2.5 years old. This probably started around a year ago I posted never really got an answer. Scrubbing with brush/wire brush seems to make no difference. Doesnt feel different just looks dirty... Looks way worse in cloudy weather like today, in the bright sun you can barely see it if that makes a difference.

Any ideas what to try?

IMG_9596.jpg

How have you been caring for your pool?

What chemicals are you adding? When and how often?

Are you on a well or city water? Have you tested the full water in your pool for metals?

Try applying Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to a small area using a thin sock or nylon. Apply for 5-10mins and see if there is any change in color.

What are those weird looking returns on the pool floor? Is that larger one a drain?

Can you pull the cartridge from the filter and show what it looks like before cleaning?

Reactions: Mdragger88

Not that this means too much but I used to live very close to that plant.It was right next to the Ontario Airport in Southern California. I think they make algaecides for multiple companies and for a distribution chain called PEP,all over California and Texas.I always thought that was a dangerous spot for a chemical factory next to a major airport

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Are you on a well or city water? Have you tested the full water in your pool for metals?

Try applying Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to a small area using a thin sock or nylon. Apply for 5-10mins and see if there is any change in color.

What are those weird looking returns on the pool floor? Is that larger one a drain?
It’s a salt water system so really I just run the pool robot and add salt when needed.

Only chemicals I’ve ever added are muriatic acid and extra chlorine tabs to try and see if that helped. Algacide maybe one or 2 times but nothing regularly.

The large return is the main drain the other 2 smaller ones are just floor returns the pool company puts in all their pools.

And far as vitamin c - just like literally the powder in a bag? Stick it in a sock and lay it on bottom of pool on stain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And far as vitamin c - just like literally the powder in a bag? Stick it in a sock and lay it on bottom of pool on stain?

You can use granulated powder or simply just go get some Vitamin C tablets from the store, crush them up a bit, add them to a sock and lay it on the stain for 5 to 10mins. Then remove it and report back with the results.

You can use granulated powder or simply just go get some Vitamin C tablets from the store, crush them up a bit, add them to a sock and lay it on the stain for 5 to 10mins. Then remove it and report back with the results.
Ok it’s tough to get good pics bc it’s windy today but it definitely made the stain/floor darker and more brownish in color I’d say (dark brown) . The darker spot is still noticable after a few mins once I removed the sock

Attachments

• IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 17
Read through these threads.

They pretty much cover the options, costs, risks etc.

Reactions: Ryanrichard25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.